Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to upgrade the stock grips on my new Motobecane Hybrid. As usual, there are waaay too many choices out there to select from. ;)

You guys/gals have any favorites to recommend? Foam or rubber grips? Bar extensions for more hand positions?

Comments/suggestions please! :)

·
Registered
9,937 Posts
Ergon grips is what I have on my hybrid and they are fantastic. Make sure you get the right ones for your type of shifter. They are available for trigger and twist shifters as well as thumb shifters .

·
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ergon grips -

Thanks for the recommendation, guys. Those were ones I was looking at previously, but at close to $49.00...

Oh well, I suppose you have to pay a bit extra for comfort. ;)

·
Eocyclist
742 Posts
Are those Serfas grips? Next to my lock-on grips, those are some of my favorites.
No, not Serfas. They're Bontrager grips and Bontrager Gel Cork tape. I like the grip and tape setup especially since they don' slip or get slippery in the rain like some. Didn't plan it that way, just got lucky with the products.

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,152 Posts
Or maybe consider switching to trekking or butterfly handle bars for about $25.
+1 on the butterfly / trekking bars. Lots of hand positions, and you can use regular bar tape and anti-vibration pads. I've had really startling results climbing with my hands on the outside curve of the bars - where bar ends would be if they were flat bars.

When I used bar ends back in the day, they had an annoying habit of slipping when I'd grab them for a steep climb. No such trouble here. Better yet, you get a much wider range of ergo adjustment due to the fact that you can pivot the rear section of the bars up and down over a pretty broad range (assuming cable length cooperates) for the perfect fit for you.

They also give you much more room to mount things like lights and bar bags. Here's my setup:

Gen_ 004.jpg

Best of luck, however you end up going!

Attachments

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,152 Posts
Newleaf, which bar bag is that?
Larry,

It's a Louis Garneau Stream HB 8.5. I've run it for more than 2k miles now, and while I'm fairly happy with the bag, the QR handlebar mounts are a disappointment. The bag is a monster - all 8.5L of it - but can't carry much weight before the handlebar mounts start to slip. If anyone's interested, let me know and I'll be glad to do a thread with additional pics and details of the good and bad times I've had.

For the price, it's great for lighter but bulky items.

·
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
newleaf,

I've been looking at those bars, I am leaning strongly in that direction. Also like your Garmin, nice large display. Which model is that? Most of the ones I have looked at don't have that large display.

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,152 Posts
newleaf,

I've bee looking at those bars, I am leaning strongly in that direction. Also like your Garmin, nice large display. Which model is that? Most of the ones I have looked at don't have that large display.
Katz,

I wouldn't trade my trekking bars for anything I've seen so far. My Garmin is the GPSmap 60CSx - I got it in 2008. It's NOT touchscreen, but I prefer the buttons for use in inclement weather. It runs on 2 AA batts. I use rechargeables and usually get 10-20+ hrs out of a set.

It's mounted with a model-specific handlebar mount intended for a motorcycle. I don't remember the manufacturer, but I found it on Amazon last season. I'll be glad to shoot/post a couple of pics if you'd like to see it in detail. The mount has ball-swivels in two places to allow for a wide range of movement/mounting position. Once adjusted, it locks down nice and tight for use.

The screen on the GPSmap 60CSx actually isn't all that big - a little under 2x3" - but great for displaying the data screen pictured earlier. Also easier on the battery life since running the screen is typically the biggest power draw on any of these devices. Bigger = faster drain.

The map view is decent for exploration - works best if you recon the route on a computer and download waypoints to the device in advance. I have found that with practice, I can glance at it and back to the road quickly enough it's the equivalent of checking your speedometer while driving. It's sometimes harder to do that with the map view, but with good waypoints or re-tracing an earlier route, it's worked out well.

I hope the setup you decide on works as well for you as mine has for me :love:

·
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I see in the specs that the screen size is 1.5" x 2.2". It does appear larger than that in your pics. Maybe someday these bike computers companies will realize that we would like to have something larger than a matchbook, which is about the size of my Sigma BC2209.

I like it okay, but if I would have seen it in person first I probably would not have purchased it & looked for something bigger.

Thanks so much for your input on the trekking bars. I have been looking at pics on other forums & I see a lot of guys like to use those. :thumbsup:

·
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
LarryM, newleaf, others;

What is that extension piece called that you clamp to the stem to move the bars out to the correct position? Do I also need to get a new stem?

Breakdown of parts needed, please! ;)

EDIT - Never mind! I see I just need to get another riser that will extend further out. :eek:

·
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I've decided to go with the Trekking/Butterfly bars. What else do I need as far as the stem goes?

Can I use all the same parts or do I need an extension of some sort?

·
Eocyclist
742 Posts
First, trekking bars are the same size as standard MTB bars, that is 25.4mm where the stem clamps and 22.2mm where the levers and shifters mount. If your current bike has standard MTB bars, you should be able to move the existing brake levers and shiftes with no problem.

I'd start with the same stem and see how you like it. If the trekking bar grips seem too close to you, you can get a slightly longer stem. I'll get you some typical measurements tomorrow.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts