Recommendation for first road bike

Discussion in 'Road Bikes' started by aeonderdonk, Mar 1, 2010.

1. aeonderdonk

aeonderdonk New Member

I have been cycling as a hobby/for exercise/commute to work regularly since 2006. My annual routine seems to be as such:
    -Springtime comes, start to ride
    -Ride every day in the summer (~1 hour (15 miles), some longer rides)
    -Ride most days in the fall (~1 hour)
    -Gets cold, stop riding

I started out on a Raleigh Mojave 4.0 hard tail mountain bike and rode mostly on greenway style paths, some offroad, no serious single-track or jumps or anything

I then inherited a Univega Via Carisma commuter-esque bike from a friend's dad and wanted to take on some longer rides (~20-30 miles). I usually took a 2 hour ride on the weekends.

I am interested in getting into road biking more, doing 20-30 mile rides more regularly, and trying to do some 40-50 mile rides. I am in the market for a bike and my friend's dad is offering me his spare road bike. I was hoping to spend ~$600 on a road bike but he is offering me a pretty sweet bike (more bike than I need) for a good deal for $1k. Should I spend more upfront and get the higher end bike? What do you think?

The Roadbike he is offering me is a 2003 Klein Q with Full DuraAce and FSA RD600 wheels. I've ridden it once and seemed like a good fit sizewise, I'm 6'2 an it's a 60cm bike. He crashed it once and it has a small dent on the top tube but it's in great shape and been well maintained.

Any advice or opinions are greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2010
  2. jagonz456

jagonz456 New Member

I think that spending 1,000 on a 7 year old bike is a lot of money. I would buy a new bike from a bike shop. You will be able to get the bike fitted for you. Bike fitting is very important especially to a new rider. most bike shops will also give you free maintenance. you can pick up a decent bike with 105 group for around 1,000. Every year Shimano makes changes to its components so buying new you will benefit from all the new changes. So if your reading this and you are still thinking about picking up a dented 7 year old bike for a 1,000 then thats they way you should go.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2010

3. baj32161

baj32161 American Expatriate Tavern Member

Agreed...while Klein made some good (and beautiful) bikes, $1000 for a dented 7 yr old bike is a bit steep, even if it IS equipped with Dura Ace, I would not buy it. That kind of money can get you a pretty nice new bike, like a Cannondale Synapse 6 or a Giant Defy 2 (I own neither of these by the way) for around $1100, but remember they are brand new with no dents. Plus you have the support of the shop from which you bought it and a warranty from the mfr. These are more important than you may imagine. Plus you will be able to get fitted properly and likely have free tune-ups in the package as well. Don't worry about the component group as technology has trickled down much over 7 years, and Shimano Tiagra from now will likely perform as well as used Dura Ave from 2003. In addition, now you have the option of compact double chainrings which give you most of the gear options of a triple ring, should you need it without the shifting issues that supposedly come with the triple. Having said that, I have a triple and have had no issues with it in my 6 years of owning my bike (I have a LeMond). Also you may want to check out an online shop called Road Bikes and Bicycles, Mountain Bikes and Bicycles, Save Up To 60% Off with Bikesdirect.com, New with full warranties which offers some pretty darned good values on some nicely equipped road bikes. Just make sure you get one that fits you. I would guess that, with all of the riding you have been doing that you have some idea of the size you need. Whatever you do, as much as you want a new bike...I remember that feeling oh so well...don't jump on the first offer you get. This is the fun part, do your research and ask around...this place is a good start, and have fun.

Cheers,

Brian J.

4. Skidmark

Skidmark Cycling for life

I know zilch about road bikes! That said, I have to agree that since its a first road bike to go with a LBS purchace to get the year of free adjustments / tuning, and some of the latest tech on your bike. I just did the same thing actually. I looked at a ton of used bikes, online bikes. Ended up back at my LBS. Did not have the cash to lay down on what I wanted and did not want to settle for something less. They let me use a lay away plan. My decicion was a Specialized Alez Elite, 09 model discounted down to 1100. Not as cool as a Klein, but its new, fits me right, etc. We were on a 25 mile ride Sunday when my Crosstrail was not shifting right. Just so happend that the ride route went by the LBS. We wheeled in, they stopped fixed it quickly and sent us on our way no charge.

5. jwl325

jwl325 Member

Agree with the guys above--there are some pretty nice new bikes out there today for $1K, not counting the intangibles of getting a good fitting, have a relationship with the bike shop guy in the unlikely event something goes wrong with the bike, and so on.

And maybe most intangible of all, but you will have the security/joy of knowing every mile you've put on the bike.

For me anyway, it was important to to go new for my first bike, as I felt there was just too much to learn/absorb to take a chance on used. Were I to add another roadie in the future, I might be willing to try the used market for some decent savings, having gained a little more knowledge about what works for me on a bike. JMO though, it's hard to ignore some of the potential savings on used and internet-direct bikes.

Bill

6. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

My last four bikes have been bought online. Before that, I had a custom build, and three from bike shops.

7. fleeter

fleeter The Bearded Wonder

This is valuable advice! Also, try to get the most value for your riding regimen... if you're only riding ~1 hour/day, you're not going to need all the fancy things you might like if you were riding professionally. Don't overkill it, and use the money you saved to get more "comfy" items (I just upgraded my saddle and it's 100% better).

8. aeonderdonk

aeonderdonk New Member

I agree, I think that the some of the features are beyond what I need but I've always been almost obsessed with tracking down deals for the best quality available.

Forgot to mention he is throwing in some speedplay pedals and shoes and a polar cycling watch/computer to sweeten the deal.

9. jagonz456

jagonz456 New Member

7 year old dented bike

lol I knew it I have seen this play out so may times. Its crazy but people would rather buy an old high end product over a new product every time. 15,000 can get you a used BMW or a New Honda with warranty and all the bells and whistles that come with a new car and people will still buy the used BMW. I wont but a lot of people will. I guess "every mind is its on world"

10. fleeter

^^^ which is not to say that a new honda is "better" than a used BMW... it all depends on the product, the buyer, and the buyer's priorities. BTW... I'm using the word "better" because it's completely subjective and the majority of the time based off of opinion. Keep in mind there are those guys out there that will buy a 40 year old VW that still needs fixing and pay upwards of $20,000, just because that's what they want (my dad is one of those guys). In my opinion, I agree with jagonz, and would rather buy new anytime. I like new things with warranties, etc.

11. aeonderdonk

aeonderdonk New Member

I am definitely more of a buy the new Honda with decent performance and warranty versus the old high end BMW. My mindset here is it's a solid bike with the equipment to keep me riding it a long time down the road versus getting a new bike with a Tiagra group which wouldn't meet my longer term needs.

BTW: How are the Tiagra components? I've heard from some friends (who are serious bikers) that they suck and won't last but a year or two. I'm sure YMMV but what is the general reputation?

12. jagonz456

jagonz456 New Member

At your price point 1,000 you can get 105 you just need to shop. Tiagra component are a good entry to road biking. You can get a decent bike with tiagra/105 mix for under $800.
    Check this sale out at Performance bikes.com Performance bike are located all over USA so your going to have to check whats near you. They Give you free tune up on all the bikes.

2009 Fuji Roubaix Road Bike
    MSRP:1,379 Sale Price: $799 If you Join Team Performance you Get Back 10%
    so they give you $80 credit to buy a helmet/pedals/new seat whatever you want. So at the end of the day your picking this bike up for like $710

BOTTOM BRACKET: FSA MegaExo Exterior Bearing System
    BRAKES: Tektro R-350 dual pivot
    CASSETTE: Sunrace CSR94-9AQ, 11-25T 9-speed
    CHAIN: KMC HG-73
    CRANKSET: FSA Gossamer Compact MegaExo w/ Integrated spindle, 34/50T 7075 Aluminum outer rings
    FORK: FC-770 Fuji Bonded Carbon Integrated w/ 1 1/8" Alloy Steerer
    FRAME: Fuji Altair 2 custom butted Aluminum w/ PowerDiamond downtube, Integrated head tube, Double water bottle mounts, Fuji Carbon seat stays, Fuji Altair 2 Aluminum chain stays, Fuji forged road dropout w/ replaceable derailleur hanger.
    FRONT DERAILLEUR: Shimano Tiagra, 31.8mm
    GRIPS/TAPE: Fuji custom cork wrap
    HANDLEBAR: Fuji UltraLite 6061 Double Butted, 31.8mm w/ anatomical drops
    HEADSET: Tange IS-24 1 1/8" Integrated Road
    LEVERS: Shimano Tiagra S.T.I.
    PEDALS: NA
    RACK MOUNTS: No
    REAR DERAILLEUR: Shimano 105
    SADDLE: Fuji UltraLite Racing
    SEATPOST: Fuji Pro Forged Alloy, 300mm
    SHIFTERS: Shimano Tiagra shifter/brake
    STEM: Fuji Pro Alloy 3D forged, +/-7 degree
    TIRES: Continental UltraSport, 700c x 23
    WHEELSET: Alex ALX- 200, 700c clincher

If You Want Carbon

2009 Fuji CCR-3 Endurance Carbon Road Bike
    MSRP: 2,049 Sale price: $999 If you Join Team Performance you Get Back 10%
    so they give you $99 credit to buy a helmet/pedals/new seat whatever you want. So at the end of the day your picking this bike up for like $900

BOTTOM BRACKET: FSA MegaExo Exterior Bearing System
    BRAKES: Shimano Tiagra dual pivot
    CASSETTE: SRAM PG-950 12-26T, 9-speed
    CHAIN: KMC HG-73, 9-speed
    CRANKSET: FSA Omega MegaExo Triple, w/Integrated spindle, 30/39/50T Alloy outer & middle chainrings
    FORK: FC-770 Fuji Bonded Carbon Integrated w/ 1 1/8" Alloy Steerer
    FRAME: Monocoque C-4 carbon with 12K weave carbon strands, Integrated aluminum cupped head tube, Double water bottle mounts. C-4 carbon curved stays with shaped ride tuned Energy Transfer Chainstay, cold forged dropout with replaceable hanger.
    FRONT DERAILLEUR: Shimano Tiagra F-Type
    GRIPS/TAPE: Fuji Custom Micro-fibre wrap
    HANDLEBAR: Fuji UltraLite 6061 Double Butted, 31.8mm w/Anatomical drops
    HEADSET: Tange IS-24 1 1/8" Integrated Road, with convex hollow top cap
    LEVERS: Shimano Tiagra STI
    PEDALS: NA
    RACK MOUNTS: No
    REAR DERAILLEUR: Shimano 105
    SADDLE: Fuji RaceLite
    SEATPOST: Fuji PRO Alloy, 350mm w/ Fuji Superlite Alloy, 34.9mm Laser Etched
    SHIFTERS: Shimano Tiagra STI shifter/brake, 27-speed Flight Deck compatible
    STEM: Fuji PRO Alloy 3D forged, +/-7 degree
    TIRES: Continental UltraRace, 700 x 25c
    WHEELSET: Alex ALX-200, 700c clincher

13. fleeter

just do what I did... check out the '09 windsor fens from bikesdirect.com... $700. The frame isn't a huge name, but it's really decent

14. jagonz456

jagonz456 New Member

fleeter Bikedirect Get its frames from other manufactures. whatever they don't sell they buy it and re-brand it under one of the bike direct names (Motobecane,Windsor,Mercier) Check out the geometry of a 2008 Fuji, Trek or Giant road bike they are the same as the 2010 bikes from Bikedirect.com. There is nothing wrong with these bikes and it is a good deal but your usually buying a 2-3 year old frame.

15. fleeter

Makes sense... either way, solid bikes.

16. aeonderdonk

aeonderdonk New Member

Ok, another development with the used bike. There are choices to be made for chainrings.

He offered either the 53/42 on it or a 50/39.

I live in the piedmont of North Carolina - mix of flat and rolling hills. Which of these would be a better choice?

17. wild

wild Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man

Have you baught a bike like to know new or used

18. aeonderdonk

aeonderdonk New Member

Getting close to pulling the trigger on that Klein. Have a couple more bikes to ride (new and used) but will have one by the end of the week for sure.

19. aeonderdonk

aeonderdonk New Member

The saga ends, here's the new member of the family:

new bike 2 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    new bike 1 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Pictures taken with my iPhone so not exactly the best shots. I ended up going with the Klein because it was the best component set (full Dura Ace 7800) for the $, I know the bike's owner/history, I got a bunch of extras (original fork, helmet, two pairs of shoes, Polar watch/computer/HR monitor).

20. fleeter

ride the hell out of it, dude:D