Recommendations for Gravel bike

Discussion in 'Beginners Forum' started by fantapol, Jun 17, 2020.

1. fantapol

fantapol Member

I am looking to buy my first gravel bike.
    I currently have road bike and used to have a hybrid bike to take my kid around town or pick him up from daycare. I decided to sell my hybrid and get a gravel bike that would serve dual purpose:
    1) same as hybrid bike (be able to ride with my boy)
    2) be able to take occasional gravel trails in Seattle area. I’ve been searching recently and there are lots of great trails which I would like to explore.

I don’t see myself going too off-road and stick to gravel trails only.
    Since I am looking to ride around town as well (on paved roads) I definitely want a gravel bike that is very decent on paved road as well, so no day tires or suspension needed (I think)

My budget is not to exceed $1500..
    So far some of top choices based on my own research are:
    Cannondale Topstone
    Specialized E5 Elite
    Giant Revolt 2

Others lower on list
    Kona Rove
    Marin Lombardo
    Marin Nicasio plus or 2
    Marin Geshalt

Any recommendations/feedback on what’s worth to get and what’s not really needed (GRX groupset?, hydraulic brakes vs mechanical?, tire recommendations?)

John_V and Dos_Ruedas like this.
  2. Dos_Ruedas

Dos_Ruedas Well-Known Member

I’m nota gravel rider but I’m fairly certain we have several around TS that might have an idea.

Best of luck.

John_V likes this.

3. John_V

John_V Moderator Staff Member Mod Team Tavern Member

I also don’t do gravel but I do have a friend that competes in area, state and regional events. He has several gravel bikes and his favorite one is from a manufacturer that you would never think of. I can’t think of the name but it’s the one recently introduced by the company that the Walton brothers own and sold through Walmart. And yes, it is a high end bike.