"Recovering Mountainbikeaholic"

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by livendadream, Jul 7, 2009.

1. livendadream

livendadream Guest

Hello my name is Jeff , and I used to ride my bike everyday, sometimes twice a day. I would ride 20,30,even 50 miles in the dirt. I then I got into the racing scene, I was addicted. I spent every last bit of cash I had on new parts. Yes, when you ride that much things break and even wear out. I could not control myself, all I did was eat,sleep ,work and ride. I was over the edge,I could not stop. Then I met my future wife, fell in love and had kids.Time disappeared, never enough,slowly the riding came to a grinding halt. Fast forward 10 years later & 57lbs heavier. I would ride with the kids around the block on the weekends , but never got the heart rate up. Then yesterday it hit me, I do not know why, maybe they highlights on the tv of Lance in the Tour. But I decided I was going to go riding in the mountains again. I have started to fix up the MTB. I don't care if I get 4 hrs of sleep a night. I am going to do it. If that guy from Texas can come back so can I!!! If you have a motivational or similar story like this one I would like to hear it. My name is Jeff and I am a "mountainbikeaholic" thanks Two Spoke for letting me speak.

2. Stinkfist

Stinkfist Guest

Good for you, livendadream! It's great that you are getting back into something that you love and are passionate about. Also, like you said, it doesn't hurt that it gets your heart rate going. Biking is a great way to stay in shape as you age.

Thanks for sharing your encouraging story. I have found inspiration in it and I think others might as well! I look forward to hearing about your journey and process back into the bike scene.

3. Tarukai

Tarukai SMILEY CAR

Hey man, good to hear you're getting back into it. Always a great thing when a former MTBer rediscovers the love of the sport.

Also, in that time, you managed to get a Jeep and work on it a bunch? Or did you have the Jeep already?

4. livendadream

livendadream Guest

Thanks for the reply Turukai and Stinkfist, I did not think anybody was going to respond. So the bike was finished July 11, first ride July 12. Man it was brutal. I did ten miles in one hour in the dirt at about 7000ft elevation then ran out of light. Mostly flat, minimal climbing. The first 3 miles were the hardest, then once the rust was out of the legs it got much easier. I could have rode another five or so miles but it was to dark. I have to ride early morning or late in the day because it has been close to 100 degrees here lately, and just found out my batteries for the nightsun are cooked. Jeep was rescued in 2000 with 86k original miles and slowly is being brought back to life, yes I work on it a bunch. It is a work in progress. Anyway my goal is to get in shape, drop some pounds and at least be able to ride 30 miles in the dirt without to much pain. I'll keep up the posts to any progress being made, and if you guys are ever in N.M. drop me a line and we can go for a ride. Cheers J.:)

5. Tarukai

Tarukai SMILEY CAR

Good to hear you're getting back into it well after your first ride. Also, glad to hear you rescued such a low-mileage Jeep. They're all a work in progress, all the time :p

Also, I have a friend going to school in NM starting this year, so pending where you are and where he is, if I can get a case for my bike that's airplane-rated, I just might allot some money and head down for a week or so on vacation in the next year.

6. Kennan

Kennan Guest

Welcome aboard new friend!