Recumbent Trikes?

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by Casualcyclist, Oct 7, 2009.

1. Casualcyclist

Casualcyclist New Member

I have been reading about, and watching some videos on, recumbent trikes.

They look quite interesting.

Does anyone here have one?

I would be iterseted to hear about them.

2. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

I may be too young for one, (I sold my Honda Goldwing for the same reason) but I do like the tadpoles. And they're damn fast on flat ground.

3. Casualcyclist

Casualcyclist New Member

We won't tell my wife that, besides a Trek Navigator 3 WSD, she rides a 2004 GL1800A. She may have the bigger motorcycle of the two of us, but my FJR1300 is more fun;)

4. Industry_Hack

That's funny. I had the GL1800, sold it and got a Boulevard, then sold that and got a Sportster. The perfect scoot for leisurely rides around the lake, and tearing it up on all the twisties we have up in the mountains.

My girl has a Giant Boulder, and says we need to get a Spyder next. Not sure if she wants it for her, or for us.

What questions do you have about recumbents? And are you interested in two or three wheelers?

5. Casualcyclist

Casualcyclist New Member

My interest is in the trikes and its is puely academic, I am not about to run out and buy one any time soon.

However, I find the design and the mechanics of them interesting. I would love to take one out; I have not idea if I would like them or not for my own use.

I like to get informed on these sort of things in case of future need or interest.

6. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

I've always been curios. What's it like? I think I would enjoy it but the people in Austin who ride them seem to be elitist and scoff when I ask them simple things. Are they good commuter bikes? Do you have to be 60+ to purchase? Is it the same workout? Is the maintenance complicated? Do they make them, Tandem? Like I said I have questions.

7. Industry_Hack

Tandem? Yes, Greenspeed. Fast and comfy? Yes, Rans. I like the Rans site - you have to choose between their bikes and their planes.

8. Biker

Biker New Member

That's funny. BMW used to make plane engines.

9. Industry_Hack

We all saw that movie.

10. itself

itself New Member

I have an ICE X2 Tandem (for sale by the way!), that is absolutley amazing. What a fun ride! No back or neck ache, don't have to worry about balance with two people. Just a lot of fun!

Lisa

11. BENTBEN

BENTBEN Guest

I love pedaling around on my tadpole trike. Its basically a pedaling go cart. If you love driving high performance cars, the tadpole(2 front) variety may appeal to you more so than the delta design(2 rear).

My Catrike Road sits at a 33 degree angle, its very comfy and fast for a 20"er. They make great tourers aswell. I also ride other variations of recumbent cycles so if you have any questions about them, don't hesitate to ask or send a pm.

-Bent Ben

12. Casualcyclist

Casualcyclist New Member

Thanks

My interest in trikes is just academic and curiosity, at this point.

I would be interested to try one, at some point, but there aren't any dealers remotely near my location.

I think they are an interesting concept.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2009
  13. Cptn_Jon

Cptn_Jon New Member

Hi: Cptn_Jon here. My wife and I have been riding trikes for 3 years now and love them. The same workout as a DF with the discomfert of the thing they call a seat. Everywhere we ride we draw a group of questions, and the first thing we do is offer to let them ride. Our second trip to Arizona we were 2 of 3 recumbent trikes. The next year there were 12 including ours. That should say something about the ride you get from the. Hope you decide to get one.

Cptn_Jon

14. Richie

Richie New Member

How to you carry all your gear on a trike?

15. itself

itself New Member

We have an ICE X2 tandem (by the way, for sale!), and we draw so much attention when we ride it, it is unreal. People pull their cars over to ask us questions.

No saddle sore, no sore neck, and VERY easy to pack a ton of gear on it!

Lisa

16. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

I'd like to see a loaded down trike.

17. altozwei

altozwei New Member

I ride a 2008 Catrike Road. It has been the most fun ride i've ever owned. I haven't had the opportunity to do any touring with it, yet, although I have some plans for the future. I did the Wild West Ride in Waco earlier this year with my family (my son rode his trike, too) and I do group rides in the Metroplex whenever I have the chance. I ride pretty much everyday. Trikes use the same touring gear as bikes but can handle some additional equipment as well. If you want to see what trikes look like on tour, here are a couple of links.
    The first is a teacher who rode across the US from San Francisco to Florida last summer (80 days):
    TOUR OF DISCOVERY - CYCLING ACROSS AMERICA - SUMMER 2009

The second is a gentleman who circled the US, starting and finishing in San Francisco (259 days).
    Don Saito's Cycle America 2009

18. digitalmouse

digitalmouse Recumbent Evangelist

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The above photos are from an OTrike I rode during my 700+ km tour from central-western Germany to Copenhagen after attending the yearly SPEZI special bikes expo in Germersheim. It rode very smoothly with all that weight attached to the seat (clothing, camping equipment, tools, food/water for a week). The rear suspension really did it's job. It's not a bad long distance tourer.

Other types of luggage options:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And of course there are oodles of good trailers for trikes.

Feel free to peruse the albums for pics of other kinds of trikes and recumbents:

Picasa Web Albums - digitalmouse - SPEZI 2009 Expo
    Picasa Web Albums - digitalmouse - SPEZI 2008
    Picasa Web Albums - digitalmouse - Trip from Cop...
    Picasa Web Albums - digitalmouse - trikes and ve...

Last edited: Dec 2, 2009
  19. digitalmouse

digitalmouse Recumbent Evangelist

I think trikes make excellent commuter vehicles. I ride mine daily 12 km (6 km to work and 6 km to home), plus another 3-5km for shopping every couple of days, *and* around 40-50km on weekends. It's great to be able to relax at a stoplight without needing to balance or put my feet down. I'm typically faster than regular uprights (20 minutes to cover the 6 km to work including stoplights), and certainly a lot more comfortable. Plus summers are wonderful when Danish women are out cycling - my head is at seat-height of most upright bikes. :D

I'm 42, and have been riding recumbents since I was 30. There are models of road trikes and off-road trikes for all ages, as low as 10 years old. I personally know of a 75 year old velomobile builder (Carl Georg Rasmussen of Leitra fame) that has well over 100,000 km on his Leitra and still rides it daily 6-7 km to his shop outside Copenhagen in quite hilly terrain. His strength is amazing - certainly leaves me behind on the hill climbs!

Maintaining a trike is no different than for a an upright. You just have one extra wheel. With the exception of the seat, pretty much everything on a trike is off-the-shelf bike components.

Tandem? Certainly! Here is a list of a vareity of tandems:
    Tandem Trikes

20. IanHighfield

IanHighfield New Member

"Head at seat-height."

I know what my next vehicle is going to be.

3-wheel upright cycles are common endurance bikes at 12 and 24 hour events in my area. My man makes two models of steel construction. I'm painting one tomorrow.