Refreshment question..............

Discussion in 'Road Bikes' started by Frankie, May 2, 2010.

1. Frankie

Frankie New Member

Okay guy's and gal's. Frankie the rookie here again with another question. How in the world does one keep water cold on a ride. As usual I went out this afternoon and started out with cold water, I even added ice before I left home. Was riding about a little over an hour. During the ride I drank about half at lukewarm. At the end of the ride drank very warm water, it was wet, but that's it. I am drinking in plastic right now. Any advise?

2. synack

synack The Back Row

Last edited: May 2, 2010

3. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

Those are awesome bottles. They sold something like 40 cases in a few hours at Interbike, and were still kind enough to toss a free one my way.

4. eaton

eaton New Member

Fill the Polar bottle and freeze it.

5. Frankie

Frankie New Member

Awesome and thanks again. Looks like what I need.

6. rola643

rola643 Two skinny Js Staff Member Admin Staff Mod Team Tavern Member

Freeze it and the closest 7-11 (or the like) for a cool refill if it's possible:)

7. Hardtail

Hardtail Ridin Dirty

Yeah I fill my empty camelback bottle with ice cubes then add water. I also carry a Camelback in my pack thats insulated and sat in the fridge all night!

Oh and I never forget some Clif bars too.

8. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

You just have an aversion to warm water? I find drinking iced water after or during a ride makes me cramp up.

9. fleeter

fleeter The Bearded Wonder

I agree with funetical on this one (strange, huh?? :D)... during and after a long ride, I prefer room temp water.

10. greenhorn

greenhorn greenhorn

Experts agree....cold water will constrict your airways...air temp water is better to hydrate with.
    Cold might be more refreshing but only after the ride. This is true of public speaking and singing as well...if you get a frog in your throat right before hitting the stage a glass of cold water makes it worse...room temp water helps.

11. TxCyclist

TxCyclist Administrator Staff Member Admin Staff

Exactly what I do. Completely freeze my drink before the ride and it thaws as I go.

12. hophead

hophead New Member Tavern Member

One of the guys on my ride last night was riding with a water bottle full of bourbon. It was warm, but very tasty.

13. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

Did he have a back up of water? My friend snuck a flask into a theater once. He had left it in his car all day. When I went to take a swig of hot Bacardi 151 I started gasping and spurting in the theater. I am to cool for school.

14. hophead

hophead New Member Tavern Member

I think he had a Camelbak too. I'm not sure though because he rode with the casual group. We split up into 3 groups last night since we had a lot or riders of varying abilities and fitness levels. He did hook my up back at the trailhead. Nothing like a boilermaker after a nice mtn bike ride!:thumbsup:

15. AceOfSpades

AceOfSpades New Member

As the rides got longer and more strenuous, I quit thinking about cold drinks. :)

16. Skidmark

Skidmark Cycling for life

And it will still get warm in those bottles during a ride anyway. Im putting 50% water 50% G2 right now and its fine warm.

17. Hardtail

Hardtail Ridin Dirty

Agreed, I like my cold water personally, but there comes a point where all you care about is something wet:D