Reinforcing Tires

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by funetical, Mar 4, 2011.

1. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

I have Bontrager H2, 700x35c.

I just had another pop, I took it to the bike shop and had the guy watch me to make sure I was changing it correctly he said yeah. I asked him about reinforcing wheels he went on about some things, but the majority were out of my price range.

Is there anything I can do to cut back on flats, or at least any tricks for flats that might save me a dime?

2. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

3. wild

wild Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man

Mr Tuffy , too

4. tomk

tomk Member

What is causing the flats? Also - are you repairing the hole in the tire before you replace the tube? Get some tire boots and be sure to cover the area of the puncture from the inside. A damaged tire will often cause a flat in the same spot over and over again as the tear from the puncture rubs against the tube over time. A big enough puncture can also cause the tube to poke through the hole and rupture. Also check the tape that is wrapped around the rim to protect the inner tube from the spokes. If it is frayed or worn or any spokes are poking up replace it.

Also check your rims. If you hit some road debris that got between the rim and the bead of the tire you could have a nick in the rim. I had this happen last fall. The shop was able to use some light sandpaper and smooth down the nick.

After picking up my new Specialized last August I had two flats in the first 10 miles from the road debris issue above...compounded by damaging the tire so that the new tube would poke through the rip and puncture. I ended up replacing the tires with Specialized Armadillo elites - not cheap but I have almost 1,000 miles on the bike with NO FLATS since.

5. photosbymark

photosbymark New Member

Fun there must be something wrong with the wheel itself with a spoke sticking out to cause some of the punctures. You probably are not getting pinch flats where something gets pinched in installation. My next step or at the next flat would be to remove the rim tape, and check the wheel closely. Are the flats all having the puncture in about the same place? Have you changed the tire as well at the tubes? In fact as much of a problem as you have had, I might even double the rim tape. But if I had to wager a guess I suspect the flats have more to do with something on the bike than something on the road. I have ridden over all kind of debris on ordinary tires and not gotten a flat to think that you could be getting that many from road hazard. You may get a pinch flat occasionally, but you have changed enough of them now that even if some were pinch flats, you have likely learned how to do it right by now. That leaves tire and wheel as my primary suspects. My guess now is wheel and or rim tape, but I could be wrong. I usually am.

6. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

I think I'm being to hard on them, but I've been told that isn't the case.

I've run my fingers in there, nothing poky, I have a buddy coming by later in the week to hit the streets before I leave.

He seems to know everything, maybe he can help.

Is it possible it's a rim spur or something I can't feel? Years of cooking has left my hands callused and not very sensitive.

7. froze

froze Banned

If your hands can't feel it simply drag a cloth over the surface of the rim and it will snag on anything sharp, do the same with the inside of the tire. The location of the hole on the tube should till you exactly where the problem is. Tire boots are great, I use the Park brand and simply cut a smaller piece of it just about 2 to 3 times the size I need to cover the cut with off the main piece and apply it to the inside of the tire where the cut is to prevent anything else from entering through the same cut damaging the tube again. Then I also use Super Glue to fill in the cut from the outside.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2011
  8. SprocketGirl

SprocketGirl spin... spin.. spin

on the tire, save your paws (hands) use a spoon (i use a metal baby one for road bike and a table one for mountain)i think you can buy a tool for it but spoons work!. i run a spoon inside my tire when i change a tube.... the spoon won't hurt the tire but will clean up any pokeys in there. as for prevention.... can't help much there sorry

9. photosbymark

photosbymark New Member

Well just out of curiosity have you just changed tubes or have you changed the tire as well? A sharp object or edge could do it regardless of where it is, and sometimes they can be a bear to find. The rim edge can do it. Something really tiny that either comes through the tire, or is a part of the tire can also do it.

Now a question for the group. What is the difference between Mr. Tuffy and rim tape?? Just wondering if you would gain any protection with ordinary rim tape between the tire and tube? Can't really see any harm other than weight, but I might be missing something. I usually am

10. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

Hey, don't forget to index your tire and tube. By lining up the hot patch opposite the valve stem, you should be able to determine where to look in the tire for anything that would have violated your tube.

11. wild

wild Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man

Mr Tuffy goes between the tire and the tube, rim tape goes between the rim and the tube. Me Tuffy protects the tube from puntures that come thrugh the tire, rim tape is used to protect the tube from sharp edges in the rim, like spoke holes. The rim will ware thrugh rubber rim tape if the spoke holes are sharp and you use high presure, there is rim tape that is made from somthing outher than rubber that does a better job.
    Hope this helps

12. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

Wow guys thanks, I'm heading out a little later for a ride, I'll swing by the LBS and see what I can find.

A spoon? Good idea, I've already spent money on the pocket tools, but the were cheep and break easily.