Reintroduction - new city, new bike / Allentown PA

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by tomk, Aug 24, 2010.

1. tomk

tomk Member

Thought I would "reintroduce" myself to the forum since we are moving (again) and I have a new bike. I have not been very active since joining as my professional life has been a bit of a whirlwind seeing my wife and I move from Webster, NY to Georgetown, KY and now to Macungie, PA (Allentown area) in just under a year. Whew! On top of that we started a new company. My business partner lives in the Allentown area so we decided to relocate....again.

Anyway - after having a great biking community and access to some nice rides in NY, Georgetown was a bit of a let down and I did not ride much this past season.

However, our new apartment in PA is less than 2 miles from a very nice bike park and velodrome which serves as the starting point for several weekly rides. There are also some great LBS and bike friendly road routes in the area.

I had been wanting a road bike for a few seasons now and after shopping around picked up the last 2010 Specialized Allez Elite from Cyclodrome Bikes in Breinigsville, PA that just happened to be my size, 56cm. After riding a few entry level bikes I knew that I was not going to be happy as my MTB is all Deore and I definitely wanted at least 105 on my first bike. I considered mail order but feel that building the relationship with the LBS is very important and I got a great price anyway!

Good to be back and I hope to be more active both on the forum and out on the road. I have a lot to learn! Drop me a PM if you know some good places to ride or of some regular weekly rides.

2. Xela

Xela New Member Tavern Member

Well, welcome again. I hope things settle down so you can get back out there and enjoy your new ride.

3. tomk

tomk Member

Thanks Xela! Just a quick update....after my first two full weeks of riding the new bike I had ridden 10 of 14 days and have put 260 miles on the bike including my first 25+ and 35+ mile rides this past Friday and Sunday. Going to have to slow down for the next week as I have a few days of business travel and then we are permanently relocating to the new place in PA on 9/23. I've been riding with a club here in Lexington KY and really enjoying it.

4. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

5. tomk

tomk Member

Hi funetical - Yes. We got relocated to Allentown last weekend and I reclaimed my bike from storage and have gotten a few good rides in. It's been raining and flooding but hopefully the weather will clear out in time for the Thurs - Sunday group rides.

Thanks!

6. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

I hope the best for you, Austin is beautiful right now, I wouldn't be anywhere else.

7. TxCyclist

TxCyclist Administrator Staff Member Admin Staff

Do you have any pics of the Velodrome?

8. tomk

tomk Member

Hey Dean - we have only been to one race but it was exciting. My wife posted one of here pictures on her blog here:
    A Night at the Velodrome | D168

[​IMG]

We both took a bunch but have not had the time to process them and get them uploaded to Flickr or iPhoto yet.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2010
  9. tomk

tomk Member

Austin is one of my favorite cities for a multitude of reasons...many of them related to cuisine! We lived in Dallas for a brief 2 years but I was down there at least once a month for business and have been traveling there on business for at least 15 years now.

Love the TexMex at Chuy's!