Rekindling the passion

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by Xela, Apr 12, 2010.

1. Xela

Xela New Member Tavern Member

Though, as the title might suggest, I've never really lost the love of biking, there was just something about this past weekend that made it extra special. The weather was absolutely gorgeous, everything is blooming, my average speed was up even though I was soaking in the scenery more than usual, and Paris-Roubaix was incredible.

I hope you all had a great weekend as well!

Tripel Karmeliet Jersey Ride.jpg

2. CTD50

CTD50 DX's Biggest Member

Some days, it just all comes together, and reminds you why you started riding to start with. Had a commute home like that last week -- took the scenic route home, nearly 7 miles instead of the normal spring/summer/fall 5-1/2, and beat my personal best time for it by nearly two minutes! And that wasn't even the good part!

It was just the absolute gestalt between me and the bike.

Felt a glimmer of it again today, even though it was a vacation day in bright sunshine, decent temps, and HIGH winds -- just tooling around within 2 miles of home, aimless, just sightseeing and looking for things to ride the bike through (and over).

3. AceOfSpades

AceOfSpades New Member

The one thing I enjoy about riding. Just when you think it can't get any better..........

4. photosbymark

photosbymark New Member

I really have yet to clock my speed and create a personal best for anything. Yes I want to get better, but I am way too old to want to compete with myself. No desire to race what so ever, well at least not on a bike. If I am doing the best I can on that given day, for me that's enough. For me biking is about the journey not the speed. Those kind of days remind us about the journey

5. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

We did a little family ride this weekend, and I took my Wabi Classic. It's set up as a single speed rather than fixed right now. Sprinting felt really good.

6. bikebum1975

bikebum1975 Rat Biker

For me I have always adored riding there was a period of more than a decade where I did not have any bikes around just didn't have the funds to buy one then a friend gave me her old single speed to which yes it is a ladies bike both of mine are and I don't care I enjoy the way they feel and to me the best thing about riding is riding being in the wind with the sun in my face. As Photosbymark said it's not how fast you go it's the journey that's important just being is the saddle.

7. rola643

rola643 Two skinny Js Staff Member Admin Staff Mod Team Tavern Member

I've recently discovered that what I want from riding is changing already. I started on a hybrid riding with my wife and loved it. Decided I wanted to go faster and longer and stepped up and bought a road bike. Ended up getting a friend interested and loved riding with him. As time has gone by he has pursued it to the point of hammering all the time and riding at all costs, cold, rain, wind, whatever. I ALMOST got suckered into that mentality and then I realized it wasn't any fun to ride...it was just another task I had to do. I'm getting back to enjoying the ride and for me if it's only 17 mph then so be it. I'm not racing, I'm not training for the Tour De France or the Olympics so why do I need to try and ride like it. Back to enjoying the sun in my eyes, the wind in my face and the chance to relax and forget about work and other responsibilities for a while.

Last edited: May 2, 2010
  8. Hardtail

Hardtail Ridin Dirty

I took a 30 minute detour tonight under the moon light!

Riding never gets old....only I do!

9. bikebum1975

bikebum1975 Rat Biker

Just got back from a roughly 15 mile I am guessing on that one my computer crapped out on my bike but what a nice Sunday stroll on my bike it was weather was beyond stellar a little wind and just enough heat to make it feel like you worked hard but all in all a great day to ride was in the saddle for about 5 hours today. As Hardtail said riding never grows and never will grow old for me. Just me and my bike get older. lol

10. Grenouille

Grenouille Grenouille

when you're at the office and your mind wanders off the task at hand: you know you're hooked on cycling when you're fantasizing about next weekend's ride, rather than about sex.

11. Hardtail

Hardtail Ridin Dirty

Yeah all I can think about is next weekends ride too! As far as the sex part goes....well my wife is back in Maryland while I'm here on this assignment....:hate:

12. greenhorn

greenhorn greenhorn

Love this picture, take it yourself? Some rides you just can't beat, and they are usually alone.

13. Xela

Thanks! Actually that's about a mile from my house at the end of the ride. I had my sister come take that of me. I wanted to give it to my mom, because she bought me that jersey.

14. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

Being married my mind rarely takes that detour. I think I spend more time on bikes any how. I'm so glad I had a kid.

15. whyeyebike

whyeyebike New Member

Well said!!!!!!

16. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

If I were in your part of the world Xela I would be right there with you. Arkansas is unusually beautiful.

17. Xela

Thanks! I really like it up here in the NW corner.

Not a big fan of LR (where I grew up). Too flat, and at the time I left, pretty high crime. Though they've done a lot recently to really clean up, and the River Market area along the Arkansas River is turning out quite nice. Plus, they have the Clinton Museum! :)

18. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

I have family there. I get to see Hot Springs and the surrounding areas once every few years. I have ambitions to retire their, well if I could retire. I think I'm working till I die.

19. rola643

rola643 Two skinny Js Staff Member Admin Staff Mod Team Tavern Member

Didn't you know ? That's the NEW American dream......

20. Hardtail

Hardtail Ridin Dirty

Haha, well we all might have too!

I hate looking at my paycheck, between taxes, Medicare and SS...it makes me mad. I'm going to drop all of this money in the system and never see a dime back in return! Thats the worst investment ever.