Removing Scratches from Sunglasses

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by itself, May 2, 2010.

1. itself

itself New Member

Anyone ever try this?

InstructionsThings You'll Need:
    Brasso
    2 washcloths
    Soap
    Vinegar
    Step 1Squirt a quarter size amount of Brasso directly onto a washcloth.

Step 2Rub the Brasso onto your Oakley lenses. Rub in a circular motion for three to five minutes.

Step 3Wipe away the excess Brasso with a clean area of your washcloth.

Step 4Wash your Oakley sunglasses with soap and water. You can do this at your kitchen sink.

Step 5Pat dry the lenses with the corner of your second washcloth.

Step 6Soak the corner of your second wash cloth with vinegar. Wring out any excess moisture.

Step 7Wipe your lenses with the vinegar soaked end of your wash cloth. This will remove any leftover Brasso. Set the glasses aside to air dry.

Lisa

2. coco2

coco2 Well-Known Member

I have now....and the lens on my oakleys are maybe not perfect but much better than they where before.

Thanks lisa

:):thumbsup:

3. itself

itself New Member

Did you use the Basso furniture polish or metal polisher? So glad it worked!

Lisa

4. coco2

coco2 Well-Known Member

It was the brasso metal polisher.

5. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

I just chunked a pair of glasses due to the huge scratch down the left lens. I guess I never thought they were repairable.

Last edited: May 3, 2010
  6. Xela

Xela New Member Tavern Member

Man, that's really cool! I haven't yet scratched my Oakleys, but I know the day will come. Good to know that doesn't mean they're trash.

I wonder if the same procedure would work for scratches on CDs/DVDs.

7. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

Hell I would be pissed if it worked on CDs. I just threw out thirty or so old ones I had kept in storage. They were all kinds of scratched up.

8. hophead

hophead New Member Tavern Member

I use McGuires cleaner wax on CD's & DVD's. It works most of the time.

9. flyingdog

flyingdog Member

For most plastic lenses (and anything plastic/poly). Been using this stuff for ions and works great:

Novus Plastic Cleaners

FYI:

I had a 15yr old pair of RayBan's that both lenses were broke bout 5yrs ago. So I just threw them on the shelf. Then I happen to come across this place. So I said "What the Hell". $29 to fix a $150 pair? Worth a shot. So I sent them off (no money upfront) and to my surprise they came back in about 2 weeks and totally free of charge. Guess they were able to tap into RayBan's lifetime lens repair/replacement without my original receipt. Which, by-the- way, isn't free thru RayBan. Guess they do this for all high dollar sunglasses. Nice:)

Eye Wear Repair - Glasses and Sunglasses Repair from just £17.99

Last edited: May 9, 2010
  10. cderalow

cderalow Senior Member

I used plastX on my pair of cheap performance brand glasses and it took out he fine scratches that made it hard to see, but left the deeper ones.

Overall, successful.

Sent from my iPad using Bike Forum

11. offrdmania

offrdmania Frickle Frack

Oakley used to have a lifetime warranty on the lenses if they got scratched. You would mail them in and they would either polish the lenses if they were minor scratches or would replace them if the scratches were too deep. They used a polishing compound on a rotary microfiber wheel to buff out the scratches.

12. FlatbarCyclist

FlatbarCyclist New Member

;) Perhaps it might work on automotive headlight lens. I might give it a try!