Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Grenouille
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do folks replace tires when they look worn out? Or wait until you have an actual tire failure?

Brought my bike into the LBS yesterday for a tuneup. Guy said, next trip in I should replace the front tire, not lots of rubber left on it. (About 5,000 miles). Note I replaced the rear tire a month ago after a sidewall blowout.

·
1,804 Posts
The former. If the latter, you risk injury. If you start seeing the casing through the rubber, I'd say it's time. Don't rotate tires. The rear wears faster than the front. 5000 miles is good wear.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Do rotate front to rear, never rear to front. You don't want a catastrophic failure of a front tire.

I've had a front tire go flat at 20+mph and it was not difficult to ride the front flat to a stop. But it's easier to bring a bike from 20mph to zero safely with a rear flat. So I have been known to replace a worn out rear with a used front and put a new tire on the front.

I agree with Merlin, if you see threads (casing) it's time to replace. I don't usually wait that long. When the tire is looking quite square (worn flat on the contact patch) I'll replace it.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
If you wait until the tire suffers irreparable damage, be sure you're carrying a spare. I carried a spare tire on the longest ride I took this year. I carried a spare trailer tire with me today because I was too lazy/late to replace a threadbare tire this morning.

·
Registered
6,897 Posts
Replace before they show signs of serious wear and you'll ride a lifetime.
Ride until they pop and it may just be your last ride.

·
Premium Member
5,352 Posts
Do rotate front to rear, never rear to front. You don't want a catastrophic failure of a front tire.

This is this best method of getting the most out of your tires safely. Some people buy tires three at at time and replace front to rear and rear to the trash.

I dont have a problem mixing and matching tires. 17 MPH rolling down the road no one can tell whats on your bike. So I ussually buy my tires discounted online and put the new set on my favorite ride and use my front tire from that bike on another.

·
Premium Member
5,352 Posts
Do folks replace tires when they look worn out? Or wait until you have an actual tire failure?

Brought my bike into the LBS yesterday for a tuneup. Guy said, next trip in I should replace the front tire, not lots of rubber left on it. (About 5,000 miles). Note I replaced the rear tire a month ago after a sidewall blowout.
5000 miles from a set of tires is incredible. What tires are on your bike?

·
Eocyclist
742 Posts
5000 miles from a set of tires is incredible. What tires are on your bike?
I agree with the other posters about changing if casing starts to show. I'ld also consider changing if the tire started to get a bunch of flats.

I think the useful life depends on the type tire and riding conditions. I have 7,600 mi on a set of 26 x 1.75 Conti Travel Contacts .They've seen a lot of gravel roads and crushed stone paths, and have done a couple thousand miles with 40 lbs of extra stuff on board.

They were looking pretty nicked up at 6,000, so I bought another set. But at 7,000 mi, they still looked good enough for a 400 mi tour in the semi-sticks. I'm guessing they're good for another 3,000 or 4,000 mi.

·
Grenouille
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The 5000 milers are branded as Honda. (couldnt have told you they made bike tires).

Note most of my riding's been pretty easy roads, so the tires had an easy life.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts