replacement/upgrade brakes

Discussion in 'Mountain Biking' started by Michaeld1187, Oct 27, 2009.

1. Michaeld1187

Michaeld1187 New Member

i have an 08 wahoo fisher, i was having front braking issues and after being in the shop i got it back with front AND back braking issues now... anyways they say its bad pads i think its bad business. But now its got me thinking braking upgrade. my questions is what is got to fit my bike and what is good bang for buck... its hard to justify spending lots of cash to the wife but i would like to see hydros on the bike at some point in time. and since i my brakes and shifters are in the same housing i guess that means ill have to replace them... idont ride everyday maybe 2 times a month so i dont need anything to serious i just want quaility

-michaeld

Last edited: Oct 27, 2009
  2. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

According to the specs, you've got Tektro v-brakes. I can't imagine that there's much to them, other than alignment and spring tension. And pads are cheap enough to replace. If you've got money to burn, get discs. But it sounds like you don't need them. So if adjusting the Tektro brakes is too much trouble, upgrade to some Avid Single Digit v-brakes. Just keep in mind that they'll require some adjustment too.

3. Michaeld1187

Michaeld1187 New Member

nah man i have disc brakes i have the wahoo disc

4. Industry_Hack

Which disc brakes?

5. Industry_Hack

Looks like Shimano M415 brakes. What's the issue?

6. Michaeld1187

Michaeld1187 New Member

Shimano M415 mechanical disc w/Shimano EF50 levers

they were working good, but then my fronts got soft i brought the bike to my (former) shop and now both back and front are soft and the back which were fine are worse than the front....

ive been wanting to upgrade SOMETHING but dont know enough to make a good purchase, but if i change my brakes i also have to get new shift levers too right?... which i wouldnt mind

so what should i got with? brakes and maybe shifters

7. Industry_Hack

Why not get them working, and spend the money on something else?

8. Michaeld1187

Michaeld1187 New Member

yea see that was part of the problem.... i dont know what to spend the money on even though i want to spend it on something. ive been riding the bike now for almost 2 years and im ready to upgrade and since the brakes are giving me trouble i thought of replacing them... so if you think id be better spending the money on something else... what do you suggest?

9. ruggedscotsman

ruggedscotsman hardtail hardass

upgrading for the sake of upgrading? why?

10. Michaeld1187

Michaeld1187 New Member

well because id like a better bike... thats why... also because i just got married and recieved a performancebike.com gift card

11. Industry_Hack

What don't you like about your bike's performance right now? Tires are a good place to upgrade.

By the way, congrats on that marriage thing. I'll be doing that in June.

12. Michaeld1187

Michaeld1187 New Member

well my tires are starting to wear but i think they still got some life in them... i dont like my braking power, and my shifting never seems to be right and after getting them adjusted they dont stay right long.
    -michaeld

13. BadKarma145

BadKarma145 New Member

Mediocre brakes...

I've not used the Shimano mechs, but the Avid BB7's rule. Try them with a 185 rotor in front and a 160 in the rear. And look around for a tutorial on how to properly adjust them....they rock.