Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Got my '83/'84 cherry refurbed Trek 400 a little over a week ago...

http://www.twospoke.com/forum/f4/new-kid-block-5805

Was riding it last Thursday when the front derailleur didn't shift as I was coming down the driveway on my way in. Looked and it had slipped down the seat tube an inch or more, so I moved it back into place and as I re-tightened the bolt, the back part that clamps to the bolt broke! It's a Simplex and it's made of pot metal, I found. GREAT.

So now I need a new-to-me front derailleur. 28.6mm, bottom pull - that much I know.

Questions: Is buying used a bad idea? Is this something I can do myself or should I pay a bike mechanic to do it while I watch and learn? Any special tools I'll need if I try it?

Thanks (and bummed 'til I can start riding again!),

Gary

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
I found a new Sunrace on eBay for under $10, delivered. I wouldn't be so concerned about going with used though. It would seem as though time is more critical than cost. Get a quote from your LBS - it's not difficult to do yourself either.

·
Rollin Solo like Han...
517 Posts
The one thing I will say about used is that if you don't know what you're look at it would be real easy for some fool to rip you off. Do plenty of research before buying used parts. There are a lot of shady people selling bike parts used. At the shop I work at we'd charge you $20 to install a derailleur plus parts. You might spend $45-50 with basic parts to get a new one installed from a shop. It's not that hard to install. If you're mechanically inclined i'm sure you can figure it out. Setting your limits right is the most important part i'd say. If your limits are set right and your cable tension is good you should be shifting right.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I called the LBS yesterday and - guess what? They don't have a front derailleur in stock. Amazing.

So now I, a newbie, get to eddikate myself about front derailleurs so I don't make a mistake in buying the right one.

Oh, they did say they'd put a new one on once I get it. :rolleyes:

Gary

1 - 5 of 5 Posts