Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Two skinny J's
21,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would you do, rest or ride before an event? I am going to be riding in an event this Sunday and was pondering riding again tomorrow or maybe saving the legs. It's not a race but it is a timed event of aprox. 60 miles and may need to be ridden fairly fast.

So what would you do, rest or ride? I've got so much going on right now 2 days off sounds like the better option....but sounds/feels lazy :D

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
If it were me I *might* do 20 miles tomorrow, maybe not. You're going to do well either way. You've been riding enough that two days off is probably a good idea.

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
I would take the 2 days.

·
Two skinny J's
21,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If it were me I *might* do 20 miles tomorrow, maybe not. You're going to do well either way. You've been riding enough that two days off is probably a good idea.
I was supposed have done a shop ride this morning but because of some events last night had to pass it up. I made a trip to the shop to get some more GU, HAMMER Recoverite and misc. other stuff. Talked to the guys and they pulled off a 21 mph avg today! Maybe best I did make it!!

I may do another short easy ride to keep the legs spinning...being an old man and all :D

·
Premium Member
5,352 Posts
I would suggest taking the time off. Now if it was me and I had the time to ride I would ride both days leading up to the event along with having a few beers the night before.

Last year I rode in a century and decided to take a few days off leading to the ride. The wife and I hopped on a ferry and spent the day before the ride on Marths Vineyard. Yep I drank all day even on the ferry coming and going and paid for it dearly the next day. Not two miles into the ride I developed a tight muscle in my buttock it became so cramped that I had to pay for a massage at the first stop. Needless to say I was the but of all the jokes the rest of the day.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Kneadless to say I was the butt of all the jokes... :D

So if I join a real century ride I can pay someone to massage my ass? :) The only organized century I did was self supported, no registration, just show up. The cue sheet said rest stop at the 7-11 on Dorsey Rd.

·
Two skinny J's
21,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would ride to the event.
I could just about do that from my daughters apartment :) She's kind enough to let us shower there afterwards :D

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
I'm with Q on this Rola. The day before I did my 1st century I rode a 1/2 Century. It got me in a groove that just kept going I guess. Everyone responds differently though.

·
Premium Member
5,352 Posts
Kneadless to say I was the butt of all the jokes... :D

So if I join a real century ride I can pay someone to massage my ass? :) The only organized century I did was self supported, no registration, just show up. The cue sheet said rest stop at the 7-11 on Dorsey Rd.
The Flattest Century in the east. About 2000 riders and all types of free support and paid services available. I actually doubled back to the start and was going to hang it up. I discovered the massage tables were open at the sign in / finish line so I gave it a shot. On a supported ride you need to check in at the start and finish at the least so they dont have a search party out looking for you. Total ride ended up being 109 miles.

·
Registered
7,015 Posts
The last "organized" ride I participated in was about ten years ago, so I have nothing new to go on.
Right now, I have challenged myself to ride at least seven (7) days straight....in an effort to challenge myself at the same time as throwing points into the Team Two Spoke National Challenge pot.
Today was day four. I managed two short rides totalling ~16 miles.
For the year I am somewhere around 1000 miles.
My legs were feeling it today. I feel most certain that FOR ME, I would take at least the day beofore off. If my legs could make the decision, they would prevent me from meeting my challenge right now.

So I say, ride two days before.
Carb starve that day.
Rest the day before.
Carb up (to spike your stores)
And kick tail the day of the ride and smoke your pals!;)

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
I've given it some thought and my conclusion is that you should rest for two days. It may or may not improve your ride Sunday, but it will give me a chance to catch up with you :D

·
Two skinny J's
21,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
All good advice! Poolie, you got it :) I just have to many others things that need, no check that, have to be done today.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts