Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys and gals. Got back into riding a couple months ago after having the doctor threw a fit on me about high blood pressure and being as she put it, a ‘couch potato’. Have ridden MTB’s and motorcycles all my life, but about 10 years ago bicycling fell off the radar.

As part of my ‘Get Healthy’ deal, I was walking nightly but that quickly got old and I remembered that I had a perfectly good bike in the basement just waiting to be ridden. A MTB with road tires… a true Hybrid I guess. About a mile from the house is an old rail line converted to walking/bike path providing 62 miles of awesome paved trails to ride. It was great being back on the bike. But I quickly realized that my old MTB was not going to cut it.

A trip down to my LBS and I walked away with a shiny new Specialized Sirrus Elite. Twenty years of riding sport bikes (motorcycles) on and off the racetrack make the idea of drop bars a little weird so had to have a straight bar bike. Have put about 200 miles on it in the past month and love it.
So here I am. Just looking for a nice place to talk bike with others. Have checked out a couple other forums only to discover that I’m a total loser for buying a Hybrid… who knew??? You guys don’t seem to be nearly as high-strung ;-)

So far what I’ve learned today kicking around on the site. There’s a thing called a ‘Fred’… and I am one. I’ve added the word ‘twatwaffle’ to my list of colorful words and you guys seem like a nice group.

·
Who put that curb there?
168 Posts
You can't beat "twatwaffle" as a conversation starter when used casually in a sentence. Welcome to you. Enjoy your new bike and your new friends here at twospoke. Very few here are high-strung and no one judges you by the bike you ride. It's all two wheels to us (and sometimes three, occasionally one).

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Beware!
Getting healthy is addictive!
Never really thought of myself as a couch potato until I had a physical last December and I failed the stress test miserably. Stuff like that sneaks up on you in the mid 40's I guess.

The bike is the most fun exercise I can imagine. My goal is to be able to (easily) do a century ride by Fall. I have a 42 mile ride under my belt so far and it wasn't too hard. Not bad considering in December I got winded walking around my neighborhood.

·
Two skinny J's
21,453 Posts
Welcome Poolie !

·
spin... spin.. spin
1,616 Posts
twatwaffle is a keeper...
lots of freds here and we love them or at least i love them...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts