Two Spoke Forums banner
19K views 44 replies 10 participants last post by  etw 
#1 ·
Just in case your standard indoor workouts are getting a little old, I thought I'd mention this.

Bought and used this video yesterday. Let me say it was 1 hour of the most fun misery I've ever had on the rollers.

This video, and the other on the site, are available for $9.49 with no tax or shipping. You download the video right after purchase, and you're ready to roll.

The video starts out with some cool helmet-cam downhill MTB footage during the warm-up. After that, the warm-up ratchets up a notch during which you are seeing footage from a crit.

The two main sets of intervals are descending intervals where you do 2 min on/2 off, 1:45 on/1:45 off, 1:30 on/1:30 off, etc all the way to 15 sec on/15 sec off. During the first set, the intervals are done with officially licensed race footage from last year's Paris-Roubaix. The video does an excellent job of keeping you motivated, and when they want to make sure you're really working it, they'll throw in footage of a breakaway starting and have you go catch it. You even get to have a one-on-one duel with Boonen over the cobbles. I think I took him. In between intervals, there is more footage of the crit to keep your legs spinning.

After the first set of descending intervals, there is a 5 minute break (you'll want all of that) followed by a repeat of the above described set with the race footage this time coming from Fleche-Wallone. These intervals feature more "climbing" and have you out of the saddle in places.

I think this is about the hardest I have ever worked on the rollers. But, that said, the legs feel great today indicating that the video really works you, but doesn't just grind you into the ground.

The soundtrack is excellent and flows nicely with the intervals. The instructions on the screen are easy to understand and the intensity is listed as perceived exertion with the descending intervals being 9.5 and 10/10. There are also audible clues letting you know when to watch the screen for instructions and when the interval is over.

Here's where you can find some more info on the product. I'll probably order their second video today.

The Sufferfest - Cycling Traning Video, DVD, Podcast and Workout Resource

Bikerumor | All The Best Cycling News, Tech, Rumors and Reviews!

See less See more
#3 ·
Wife's kind enough to overlook the rollers that have been a semi-permanent fixture on the tile between the kitchen and dining area. I set up the rollers and have a fan in front of me. If I'm doing a DVD video, I'll just watch the TV in the living room from where I am. If I'm doing a workout like this one that needs the laptop, I set it on a step stool in front of me. I'll take a picture next time and post it.

#4 ·
Did The Sufferfest Double today

The Sufferfest group threw down a challenge to me the other day on Twitter (@thesufferfest); do The Sufferfest Double. The Double is doing both of their videos back to back.

Fight Club, which I did first, is longer interval work at 7 and 8/10 efforts with short, high intensity attacks thrown in. I know that WhyEyeBike is planning on doing this video Monday night, so maybe I'll wait and let him write up his thoughts on it to keep this thread diverse. I will say that the footage of Cancellara destroying the others in the World Time Trial Championship last year was amazing. You almost feel sorry for the guys he's passing, since he makes it look so easy.

Doing the two videos back-to-back was definitely tough, but I'm glad I did. I think doing the slightly lower intensity, longer duration intervals of Fight Club was the way to go since The Downward Spiral's intervals are 9.5 and 10/10.

The music on both of these videos is great at driving the pace, as is the video chosen. You really get the feeling of being right there in the mix.

#7 ·
So I finally got a chance to try out thesufferfest.com "Fight Club" last night and it was truely a sufferfest. I love the beginning when you get the disclaimer that reads, "This video uses terms like 'pain,' 'suffering,' and so on. This is purely for entertainment - we do not recommend you experience these or similar sensations." Well I felt some pain, you know the good pain; like your really working your muscles, including the heart.

So here goes the review....

You start off with a light 5-6 minute warm up at a low intensity with video of someone with a cruiser, sporting a very nice basket. The video at this point is a little grainy, but you get the jist and its kind of humorous. Trust me when I say, take this opportunity to warm up. They do a good job of giving you direction on what your intensity levels should be, plus they use some good sound affects to let you know when to ramp it up, or tone it down. And the music is top notch. Not exactly something I would listen to on a regular basis, but works well as background noise to help keep the cadence up.

From hear, you go on to Lap 1; which is really a boost in the warm up to get your heart rate pumping. Laps 2-5 put in a nice TT section, followed by climbing, then a nice long decent which is used as your recovery. Be careful on the decent....you get in to it and you might fall off your trainer/rollers. I found myself leaning into some of the turns.

The video footage they use is simply awesome. Unlike the warm up, its good quality. I am a big fan of riders like Bradley Wiggins, Tony Martin. Cadel Evens and Fabio Cancellara so do be able to follow them during actual TT efforts really gets you motivated.

If your the type of person that will put your trainer in front of the TV during the Giro, Vuelta or TdF and go to town; you will really like this video.

I am looking forward to downloading The Downward Spiral and giving that one a shot. And I will try the Sufferfest Double as well.

If your looking for something to get you out of a trainer/roller rut....try this video.

The Sufferfest - "The Downward Spiral" and/or "Fight Club"

#8 ·
"This video uses terms like 'pain,' 'suffering,' and so on. This is purely for entertainment - we do not recommend you experience these or similar sensations."
I get the feeling lawyers were involved in the decision to put that on there. ;)

Great review! I agree with all of that.

You won't be disappointed with The Downward Spiral. It'll kick you hard, but there's some great footage of Paris-Roubaix and Fleche-Wallone. The music is more alt-rock than Fight Club, but it also goes perfectly with the video.

Thanks for the review!

#10 ·
So I finally picked up the "Downward Spiral" last night....I have it on the menu for this evening after work. I have a bad (good) feeling about this one.......

Think the weekend might be a good time to try the double!!!!!
For me, it's the harder of the two. But I've always been better at long, sustained intervals at 80 to 90% than shorter intervals at 100% (OK, so the video says you only have to work some of them at 9.5/10, but I can't tell the difference between 9.5 and 10/10).

I did the double again this past Saturday. Seemed harder this time than the first time I did it. I eliminated the rest interval at the end of Fight Club and went straight to the warm-up for The Downward Spiral. Nearly puked when I got off the bike to switch the videos. Also, again during this double, my legs nearly gave up on the second 1:45 interval in The DS when you're racing with Moreau. Definitely a workout you're proud of when you finish!

#11 ·
For me, it's the harder of the two. But I've always been better at long, sustained intervals at 80 to 90% than shorter intervals at 100% (OK, so the video says you only have to work some of them at 9.5/10, but I can't tell the difference between 9.5 and 10/10)
I am right there with you. The short bursts are always the ones that kill me. I am looking forward to the pain!!!

#15 ·
Well I got the Downward Spiral done last night....and it really kicked my butt. It was a great workout. The video scenes are highly motivating and the music, much like Fight Club was excellent. The Sufferfest really has a good thing going. Hopefully they will get a couple more videos out. I am looking forward to getting the double done this weekend....wish me luck!!!!!

#17 · (Edited)
Great review. Do you have any images of your setup? Curious to see what your riding station looks like.
This is where most of my riding has been lately.

Bicycle Wheel Tire Land vehicle Bicycles--Equipment and supplies

Kind of embarrassing looking at that pic. She's pretty dirty. Plan on giving her some TLC tomorrow night, and then, hopefully, get some new road crud on her Saturday. At least that would mean I actually rode outside. Different weathermen are saying rain/snow showers or a nice day. Not sure who to believe.

Attachments

#20 ·
Ok.....finally got my Sufferfest Double done and all I can say is....WOW!!!!! What a workout. I have quickly become a huge fan of these videos. This would now be the 2nd time I have done each of these, first together and they just aren't boring. I can see them being motivating for a long time. Plus, The Sufferfest is working on a third installment which hopefully will be out in March. If you can, get these videos. Totally worth the $10 for each.

#21 ·
Another huge fan here! Did Fight Club again tonight. Think I'm catching up with Wiggo, but Cancellara is just an animal!

By the way, whyeyebike, I tried to translate the Dutch smack-talk text. Something about "weakling" and "your mother". Also, love the on-screen text that says "this is the 'suffer' fest not the 'have a pleasant ride' fest.

#22 ·
Made a trade with a buddy of mine yesterday. I bought him both Sufferfest videos in exchange for the shipping costs on some parts he's shipping over to me. So, I'll post his thoughts once he tries them.

Also, according to their Twitter messages (@thesufferfest), they are nearly done with a 3rd video. I plan on purchasing it when available. I'll review it as soon as I can.

#23 ·
The Sufferfest now has a new video out. It's called Revolver. Probably because by about the 4th or 5th interval, you want to shoot yourself to make the pain go away. So, what I'm saying is, "it's awesome!" Come on, admit it, we're all somewhat masochistic.

It's a fairly short workout. It's only about 48 minutes if you watch all the way through the bonus footage at the end. The main intervals are a 30 minute session of 15, 1 minute MAX efforts with 1 minute off between each. As you know if you have done The Downward Spiral, Sufferfest is fond of throwing in bonus intervals to bring you down just a little farther. I won't ruin the anticipation/dread by saying whether this one has a bonus or not.

The video has quite diverse footage to keep you interested throughout. It has everything from a group road ride for the warm-up to cyclocross, with track and road racing thrown in. Truthfully, I can't remember what the cool-down was. Not enough blood in the brain at that point, I guess.

It's a great, fairly short workout. However, you've probably never had one minute seem so long as in these intervals. It's also a great deal at only $9. You can purchase it and download it from The Sufferfest - Cycling Traning Video, DVD, Podcast and Workout Resource

Be sure you have a fast connection or plenty of time to download, though, as the file is over 1 gig.

#24 ·
So I grabbed Revolver the other day and finally got a chance to fire it last night, so I thought I would put my $.02 in.

At first, I have to admit that I thought it was going to be easier then the other two (Downward Spiral and Fight Club). I say this because in my mind, I was thinking that 1 minute intervals wouldn't be that bad. Plus, the fact that this video is only 45 to 50 minutes, I figured it couldn't possibly be as bad. GOD I WAS WRONG!!!!! This one really kicks your A$$, in a good way. First, those 1 minute intervals are at a PRE of 10/10. And the 1 minute recovery periods just fly by (but the 1 minute intervals seem to last forever).

The footage is really, really good. And the music is well done too. I am not a cyclocross rider, but I really found that footage to be motivating, when I could see it through the sweat. I also realy liked that the video gets you up and out of the saddle a lot, and for good lengths of time. All in all, I would highly recommend this video to someone who really wants a training tool that is motivational.

#25 ·
Whyeyebike - From your/our post in the Off topic, Beer :) - Sufferfest Fight Club - I couldn't hang with the last 2 attacks, just nothing left to pick up the cadence and keep up...Funny though I have felt a lot worse after Tuesday ( A pace ride, though I'm much closer to a B pace rider:))shop rides ! I'm very much a novice rider trying to get stronger, last longer and figure out all the ins and outs of riding in a peloton. I found a good group that will give good advice, sometimes after they drop me :D Last winter I did some trainer time just while watching football or some NASCAR but never anything structured and I like what I have seen in the Sufferfast video. I have to say...when the vid first started with the basket ride, I had to wonder ! It didn't take long to get over that !

Sorry for straying off topic there, what can I say.

#26 ·
Sounds to me like you achieved the goal of the video....I can say you made it farther then I did my first time watching Fight Club. I couldn't keep up with most of the attacks from the last two laps. If you get a chance, check out the other two videos (and I have no affiliation with the company at all, just a fan). Without giving away too much, Downward Spiral is a series of decending intervals with matching recovery times. And Revolver is basically a 15x1min interval workout that may sound easy, but could possibly be the hardest of the 3. All 3 videos have great footage, and pretty good music too.

Now to go off topic....you sound like you are in the same position I was last year. Last year I started racing (training series only) as a way to get myself stronger; plus I liked the idea of getting pushed by superior riders to do better. This year I am taking the racing a little more serious, because I actually had a lot of fun doing it. Anyway, I think if you stick to the Sufferfest videos, its a good place to start with structured training. And if you keep riding with the A pace rides, they will give you that push to get stronger.

Good luck!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.