Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bet not many people on this forum have heard of the ricardo brand, well thats OK.
The brand is very well known in Aussie land as they use to compete on even terms with overseas brands in sales during the 60s 70s and early 80s and went out of business around 1990.
There's many joke's and much interest here in them but seeing as they were made in my home town I really have a interest in having a nice one.
The bike I'm going to refurbish is not even a special ricardo as there's four models higher up to the race model and I found this in one of our sheds spred out out on our 150+ year old farm along with other bikes.
I've already started and should have had the frame back from powder coating but there slow.
Most parts are usable but want to change the drivetrain and wheels. I think its hardly used but just left in a shed for 20+ years.
Anyway I'll try to keep update's as I go.
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
Lots of folks haven't heard of Malvern Star, and look how popular they are down under. I just started my own resto project, but I think yours is a bit rougher.

·
Registered
22 Posts
"WooHoo" Finally Ive got the frame back from the powder coater and I had a bit of a play today and did a mok build up as I've got alot of bits and pieces in the post such as shimano WH550 wheels,rear derallier,seat post,various nut and bolts,headset,brake levers trust me its in the post now and more to come.
I,m doing a lot more than I planed at the start but the great thing about vintage stuff is good second hand parts are cheap compared to current parts.
In the pic's I put on my $2500 1030gram carbon wheels from my pinarello and I dont think they look to out of place. The shimanos on the way are silver and polished alloy.
So I,m hooked now this is as far a the bikes got so far.

:D:D

·
Who put that curb there?
168 Posts
The powder coat looks great. That was a smart way to go.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The powder coat looks great. That was a smart way to go.

Thanks mate it was I think very cheap at $60AUSD to glass bead and coat the frame and fork.
Sure its thick and adds weight to the frame but who cares weight is not really a issue for me.;)

·
Who put that curb there?
168 Posts
Sure its thick and adds weight to the frame but who cares...
I love powder coat because it keeps that "wet paint" look. Your paint just looks like liquid midnight! Besides, your frame is not meant to be a featherweight, thought it doesn't look that heavy either.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Well I polished the original brake calipers today and I think they came up pretty good.
I decided to keep them because of there long reach and to save some money. "I've got 11 items in the post now"
They are on the bike with brake blocks but I'll wait till some more things arrive before more whole bike pic's but for a original set of tourney's they look good.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just a quick update:D, polished the non drive side crank arm the day after I got it It was alot worse than the drive side.
I know its not vintage but doesent look out of place "I think" chain rings are buggerd to and need replacement.
Got some wheels to but might not use them as there's others in the post, dont know yet. must say waiting for parts in the post is driving me nuts.:(
[/IMG]

·
1,355 Posts
Wow thatsa nice. Looks like your hard work is paying off. That last pic should be in the "Oh So Sexy!!!" thread. Especially since we have seen the before photos. I am looking forward to seeing the bike when it is finished.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yep it took about two hours to polish the crank and I was totally plastered with buffing compound.
I should have taken a photo, quite funny.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi all back again with a few updates.
I have some new parts to show and all thats left to complete are cassette, chain, chain rings and seat with a bit more polishing and cleaning and I,m getting excited with the end in site.
I'm showing my prized find thats the dura ace NOS levers it was a bit sad taking them out of the packaging but it had to be done.
"O" and there's a Shimano 600 bar stem in the post so I cant fit the bar tape yet.
Also I've stuck to the Shimano theme because it seems more fitting on a Aussie bike "its a pacific region thing" but the seat post bolt is campy. I do love campy but wanted something different.
Here's some pic's but no more full bike one's till its finished.
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
That alloy seat post was anodized black, the buffing wheels took care of that though.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
One quick pic before the finishing parts arrive, the bar taping is done and Shimano 600 stem the tires on it are just holding the rims off the ground till I get new ones.
So not long till its finished.
[/IMG]

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
G,day well its finished and I,ve been riding it for two weeks and what a nice bike to ride I,ve got a 6.8kg Pinarello and a 8.1kg Hybrid but right now I'm hooked on riding this 1020 steel gas pipe bike.
I put the 23mm race tires on just for photos but havent ridden with them because it doesnt look right with the long wheel base and long reach brakes and clearances.
The 35c Sammy Slicks are my favorite there very fast on road and track really well over cracked up bitumen and rough roads but I need them for my hybrid.
So mostly I've been riding with 27 inch wheels on Vittoria Competition Phoenix 32s, the wheels add a kilo to the bike but the tires are amazingly fast and look good, also riding this bike to work I dont see many hills so the weight is OK.
Since these pic's I've changed from 5 speed freewheel to 6 speed and put the correct length chain on.
In Australia one of the jokes about these bike is about Ricky Ricardo and his slick black hair "Doesnt exist" so owners just call there bikes Ricky.
So here's the three faces of Ricky.

Please excuse the lawn mower it broke down there when I started mowing my model plane strip.;)

And here's a link alll the pic's I took good and bad but cant post on here.:D
1983 Ricardo Varsity pictures by kdionb - Photobucket
I guess in the end if you have the time and will you dont need mega dollar bikes to enjoy cycling and there's more satisfaction in building up your own bike from trash.;)

·
Registered
148 Posts
That is nothing short of awesome!!!!! Gorgeous machine you have there

1 - 19 of 19 Posts