Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Two skinny J's
21,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Couldn't decide whether to put this in Trail and Ride meet ups or here, sooo here it is.

This year I was scheduled to ride one day of the Ride2Recovery from Richmond, Va. to Williamsburg, Va. and was not able to participate and for the life of me can't remember why now. ( lol, I think I remember why now...I had no bike at the time due to some silly incident )

Anyway I woke up this morning with 5 invites on FB page from the Ride2Recovery events. I WILL be riding at least one leg of the DC to Virginia Beach ride May 28th-June 3rd of 2012 next year! I would really like to do the entire rode from DC to VA Beach! I'd love to see a few of the locals like M_Wales and bmohan55 get involved and ride a day with me :cool:

Jahwarrior I challenge you to do the Fort Bragg Cyclefest

Ride 2 Recovery - Making a Difference in the Lives of Wounded Warriors

https://twitter.com/#!/Ride_2_Recovery

https://www.facebook.com/groups/99353290594/

https://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=204515482951440&notif_t=event_invite -Washington, DC to Virginia Beach

https://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=126165924155128&notif_t=event_invite - Honolulu, Hawaii

https://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=215893528478383&notif_t=event_invite - The Beach At Mandalay Bay

https://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=246611158720103&ref=notif&notif_t=event_invite - New Orleans to Tallahasse

https://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=145307145567969 - San Antonio to Arlington

·
Registered
98 Posts
Rola, I would love to participate in this challenge. How do I go about getting more info on signing up or did I miss it?

·
Two skinny J's
21,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
98 Posts
Cool, and thanks man. I'll look into after the weekend. It'll be my pleasure to keep you in sight on a ride. Just don't let old, slow guy get to lost.

·
Two skinny J's
21,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
717 Posts
Where do you leave from Richmond? Maybe we can try to meet and I can ride some of the distence with you as one of my routes is Richmond to Charles City (route 5). Of course would be willing to donate to the cause in exchange for a small bit of the ride.

Just read more of the ride info, you are not on Route 5 at all....will look into this more....

·
Two skinny J's
21,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Where do you leave from Richmond? Maybe we can try to meet and I can ride some of the distence with you as one of my routes is Richmond to Charles City (route 5). Of course would be willing to donate to the cause in exchange for a small bit of the ride.

Just read more of the ride info, you are not on Route 5 at all....will look into this more....
Yea do! It's kind a pain since you start and end in different places

·
717 Posts
ok, I've read (I think) all the info on one day rides but can't find this...how much do I need to raise in donations for a one day...still $3,000...that would be difficult to do at this late date. No porblem with the $75 one day fee.

Other than that I think i would be able to swing it as the wife could drive down to Wiliamsburg to pick me up.

·
Two skinny J's
21,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok, I've read (I think) all the info on one day rides but can't find this...how much do I need to raise in donations for a one day...still $3,000...that would be difficult to do at this late date. No porblem with the $75 one day fee.

Other than that I think i would be able to swing it as the wife could drive down to Wiliamsburg to pick me up.
That's it! It's not like the MS150 in that regard.

·
717 Posts
Well...got to check with "the boss" but you may have company!

·
Two skinny J's
21,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My Ride2Recovery registration is complete. Can't wait! Doing day 4 Richmond to Williamsburg. Hope you can swing it bmohan55

·
Two skinny J's
21,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, new tires and tubes installed, chain cleaned and lubed, frame cleaned and polished...think the bike is ready and so am I. Plans in place to get to Richmond. Riding up in a Bikebeat van - LBS -getting some brekfast at Panera, then we roll! Can't wait to ride with the soldiers who gave me the freedom to ride!

Gota be at Andys at 5 am some can get to Williamsburg to catch the ride. Taking my bike over there tomorrow so it will be one less thing to mess with that early in the morning!

Should be a awesome day weather wise and not to mention another 2 days off of work on a short week to boot, how cool is that?

·
Two skinny J's
21,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
EVERYONE should ride this once! To watch a man with no legs and one arm and prosthetic arm make this ride, a blind mind ride on the back of a tandem, mental and emotional issue meld away for the hours on the bike. The most inspiring ride I have ever done !! These guys get it done, I'm in total admiration for what they have given and what they can still do!
1 shot before and one shot after. We rode back to the shop and stopped here for a couple of cold ones, Andy (back left)retired Air Force Chief Superintendent of F-15 maint, Tom(back right) retired Air Force Col-F-15 pilot, and Robert(foreground) did time in the Army. What a GREAT day!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Inspiring stories from that ride I am sure. Will have to make a point of looking that up next year.

·
Two skinny J's
21,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I wanted everybody to see this! I watched this man ride all day and do it with a smile! I am proud to say I rode with him yesterday, one of the true inspirations!

From the Day 4 review:
Today was the chance for the R2R Memorial Challenge group to experience their first century ride. The day's route from Richmond to the colonial town of Williamsburg was 65 miles and with the support of Ride Director Bruce Gustafson, participants had a chance to ride an extra 35 miles around the Williamsburg area to reach the coveted century mark. R2R tries to incorporate a century ride option in each Challenge.

With close to 200 riders on the ride, it was great to see that almost 60 riders took part in the extra ride option, or Bonus Miles, as the BRUCE calls them. The youngest rider on the ride, 13 year old David Weaver, became the youngest R2R century finisher. Quite an accomplishment as he and 28 others made their first century.

One of the new warriors making his R2R Challenge debut is Tyson Carter of the US Army. Tyson was referred by another R2R healing hero, Ryan Creel. Tyson had been very depressed and was in search of any inspiration when he crossed paths with Ryan at another non cycling event.

Tyson was wounded in 2005 and eventually lost his right leg below the knee in 2007 from an infection. He thought he would never be able to do things that he had done before his injury. Several years of inactivity followed. When Tyson learned of the R2R program, he had not ridden a bike since he was a kid. He went out to a local shop in the Idaho Falls area and found a MTB bike to train on to prepare for his first R2R Challenge.

Tyson has found a new lease on life and has figured out that anything for him is now possible. He has ridden every mile and will complete his first ride into Virginia Beach tomorrow.

Tomorrow, the ride will finish into Virginia Beach and feature a concert with Miranda Lambert

1 - 18 of 18 Posts