Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Rider's Lock is an aesthetically minimalistic, yet dead sexy integrated cable bike lock and is currently on KickStarter with only 2 weeks left to fund! The project would greatly benefit from the Two Spoke community's support in spreading the word, getting exposure to potential contributors, and offering feedback on the design. Check out the design and see a video of the Rider's Lock in use here:

Rider's Lock by Taylor Roan

·
DX's Biggest Member
793 Posts
ONE minute or less with a plumber's handheld pipecutter, and the classic is gone.....

And I'm not a bike thief; that's all it would take ME, if I was bent that way!

·
Registered
927 Posts
Cute, but not effective.

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
ONE minute or less with a plumber's handheld pipecutter, and the classic is gone.....

And I'm not a bike thief; that's all it would take ME, if I was bent that way!
I'm pretty sure I could do the job quicker with a short steel bar inserted into the lock, to pry that bit off the bars. And my cordless Dremel would make quick work of the cable itself.

That setup may deter the casual thief, but that's it.

·
Banned
1,508 Posts
Bike locks are a scam onto themselves.

Those stupid cable locks are all but useless, even a dodo thief can carry a simple hand tool in his back pocket and defeat those.

The advent of battery powered angle grinders will make mincemeat of any lock in less than 2 minutes. Even before there was the battery powered angle grinder thieves still had devices that could defeat even the toughest locks it just took longer and required a great deal more effort.

The best defense against having a nice bike stolen is simply not ride a $3,000 or so bike to school or work and leave it unattended! Instead buy a $300 or less used bike and lock it up with a cheap $45 or so lock. Why spend $200 on a lock only to find it broken and your bike gone? Why? do you think the bike lock insurance will cover you? think again, a news writer for a bike magazine once posed the question to Kryptonite as to how many claims has Kryptonite paid out, they refused to answer claiming privacy concerns...privacy concerns? the writer didn't ask for names just a number. So why didn't Krpto state a number? Because they knew it was ridiculously low. And why is that? Because Krypto has so many loops you must jump through to validate the insurance that it makes it all but impossible to collect on the insurance. Loops like, do you have the locks original receipt and intact box with UP code, you won't because in order to start the insurance you have to send the UP code to them!! Other loops like you have to have the original receipt for the bike in your name, pictures of bike before it was stolen along with a recent (less than a year old at time of theft) appraisal, lots of detail pictures of the crime scene including what you locked the bike up to, pics of the broken lock in it's undisturbed location (no lock no money), you must then send the lock back (again no lock no money), you have to have a police report (some cities like N.Y. won't even bother coming out to do a report on a stolen bike because they don't have the manpower to waste on a pity problem like that). Then you have to renew the lock insurance at the end of the first year of lock ownership, after the 2nd year you have to buy a brand new lock to get the insurance again.

Now you can see why you can't depend on a lock company's insurance plan to replace your bike. I've known people who had those Krypto locks and had their bikes stolen and not one out of the 4 or 5 that I knew ever got any money.

So if you're worried about your bike getting stolen get a used bike and lock it up and forget about it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts