Two Spoke Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
They? Still? I don't remember bicycles as high fashion before. I see this as a very positive sign that bicycling is spreading to all segments of society. You can pay way too much for shoes, a bag to carry your stuff, wristwatch, etc. but these things have functionality as does a designer bicycle. If you want a heavy, ugly bike that costs way too much and you can afford one, go for it! Ride it to the opera and give your chauffeur the evening off!

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A bicycle as a fashion accessory fails to acknowledge the fact that they can be a utilitarian tool for getting people from one point to another. Or that they can also be a finely tuned piece of high performance sporting equipment. That functionality is being dismissed, in favor of nothing more than questionable aesthetics, or for the purpose of selling a "lifestyle" that's actually counter to their intended demographics.

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
I an sure the LBS would rather sell one of these at a 30% markup then my $1000 Fuji :D

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
A bicycle as a fashion accessory fails to acknowledge the fact that they can be a utilitarian tool for getting people from one point to another...
If you want to be seen on your Hermes bike, you need to ride it! It looks like a bike that's intended to get it's well healed owner around town. It certainly is equipped similarly to the (somewhat less expensive) retro town bikes I often see in DC. I don't think someone who would choose to buy this bike would store it in their living room, as a fashion statement, like the Cannondale/Klein that hung on Seinfield's wall but was never ridden. But I could be wrong.

·
Premium Member
2,475 Posts
If you want to be seen on your Hermes bike, you need to ride it! It looks like a bike that's intended to get it's well healed owner around town. It certainly is equipped similarly to the (somewhat less expensive) retro town bikes I often see in DC. I don't think someone who would choose to buy this bike would store it in their living room, as a fashion statement, like the Cannondale/Klein that hung on Seinfield's wall but was never ridden. But I could be wrong.
That was to make Micheal "Insert Racist Term Here" Richards happy. He's a cyclist.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Yep. Wasn't there also a bike shop in Seinfield's neighborhood they would sometimes walk past in scenes shot outside? I think they sold Specialized. The bike on the wall was a Klein first, then became a Cannnodale? I'm foggy on the details. Definitely some obvious product placement going on there...

I imagine a Hermes rider having a very formal decor. A black lacquered vintage looking bike with leather accents might work in such a setting, parked between the glossy black grand piano (which never gets played) and the bookcase full of old leather bound tomes (which never get read). A neon green Klein, certainly not! :)

·
Premium Member
2,475 Posts
Yep. Wasn't there also a bike shop in Seinfield's neighborhood they would sometimes walk past in scenes shot outside? I think they sold Specialized. The bike on the wall was a Klein first, then became a Cannnodale? I'm foggy on the details. Definitely some obvious product placement going on there...

I imagine a Hermes rider having a very formal decor. A black lacquered vintage looking bike with leather accents might work in such a setting, parked between the glossy black grand piano (which never gets played) and the bookcase full of old leather bound tomes (which never get read). A neon green Klein, certainly not! :)
I see some guys wearing suits on bikes, they have nice bikes though, not fashion bikes.

I don't know much about the Micheal Richards bike, I read that years ago in one of those Seinfeld factoids toward the end of the series everyone seemed to point out.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Are you suggesting a fashion bike is not a nice bike, Dean? That's kinda judgmental. If you're riding carbon fiber in a business suit, that's a fashion bike, in my opinion. Never ride your race bike to work, It's a rule.

·
12,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Are you suggesting a fashion bike is not a nice bike, Dean? That's kinda judgmental. If you're riding carbon fiber in a business suit, that's a fashion bike, in my opinion. Never ride your race bike to work, It's a rule.
I think the point here is that there is nothing about those bikes that would justify the price tag.

·
12,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You think that way because you are a member of the 99%.
Um, did your account get hacked by a troll? The Bianchi by Gucci is a single speed that stickers at $6k, yet Biacnhi's most expensive Pista is a buck under $1k. While someone might pay that much for the Gucci, there is still nothing to justify the markup. And there is nothing you can hang on that carbon fiber commuter that could ever explain the $14k price tag. I see an extra cable on the Hermes, so maybe there's a three speed hub out back? Woot! Totally worth $4,500 now.

I would not consider myself a member of the 99%, as that's what the "Occupy" protesters identify themselves as.

·
Slowin it up.
4,299 Posts
You think that way because you are a member of the 99%.
So we cross paths again. I'll be careful in my wordage this time.

Um, did your account get hacked by a troll? The Bianchi by Gucci is a single speed that stickers at $6k, yet Biacnhi's most expensive Pista is a buck under $1k. While someone might pay that much for the Gucci, there is still nothing to justify the markup. And there is nothing you can hang on that carbon fiber commuter that could ever explain the $14k price tag. I see an extra cable on the Hermes, so maybe there's a three speed hub out back? Woot! Totally worth $4,500 now.

I would not consider myself a member of the 99%, as that's what the "Occupy" protesters identify themselves as.
You are though. It's that sort of separation and lack of cohesiveness that is allowing the lack of progress.

The movement, like all, needs leaders, and unfortunately I don't have the time.

Stupid being the working poor.

·
12,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You are though. It's that sort of separation and lack of cohesiveness that is allowing the lack of progress.

The movement, like all, needs leaders, and unfortunately I don't have the time.

Stupid being the working poor.
Again, y'all are missing the point. (See how I used Texan in there? ;)) While I am certainly not in the top wage earners in this country, I refuse to be lumped in with the unwashed, unemployed, clueless protesters who hope to bring about change by banging on drums and smoking pot.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.