Two Spoke Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow bike riders. I am enjoying reading about all bike related subjects, people,and hope you are all having fun! I rode for many years, mostly Mountain bikes. Now I have to ride a special bike, if not for very long periods of time. It gets me outside for a while. Riding helps reduce some of the symptoms of Parkinsons if only for a short time. As strange as it may seem I can ride better than I can walk (require cane or walker)I certainly am envious of many of you that still ride in your 70"s.

·
Still learning . . .
1,292 Posts
Hi again. How about a pic of your special bike. I have a son with profound developmental and intellectual disabilities who rides a Worksman tricycle (this is a pic of his previous tricycle). What about you?

Attachments

·
163 Posts
Hello fellow bike riders. I am enjoying reading about all bike related subjects, people,and hope you are all having fun! I rode for many years, mostly Mountain bikes. Now I have to ride a special bike, if not for very long periods of time. It gets me outside for a while. Riding helps reduce some of the symptoms of Parkinsons if only for a short time. As strange as it may seem I can ride better than I can walk (require cane or walker)I certainly am envious of many of you that still ride in your 70"s.

My father in law had PD for years. He was involved with a study here at Johns Hopkins and thru that the whole fam got involved with the support and fund raising group Pacing for Parkinson's. Our big fundraiser is the Baltimore running festival in October. That went well and this past week we at the end of year party we learned of a few new things that are being tried. One of which is singing therapy the other was started a member of our group and is boxing. Here is a link to a story about the boxing. http://www.abc2news.com/news/region...kinsons-with-the-help-of-a-boxing-class111016. Don't know if any of this will help I will add you to my prayers.

·
Registered
288 Posts
My issues are different than your issues. But they still interfere with life. So, I can empathize with your challenge.

I work out with a good mix of young and virile to old and halting. Then, in other venues I see people from the same age groups. The contrast is startling. Those who have the intestinal fortitude to get up and go as best they can look better, have better attitudes and, anecdotally, are healthier.

So, you are doing both yourself and society a Good by pushing and talking about it. Inspires.

·
3,510 Posts
Welcome aboard, Kawzak. I hope to be kept inspired by your inputs here. We "scratch each other's backs" in our posts, that encourage. Keep on keeping on.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Kawzak

What is your "special bike"? I ask because I had only seen a very few and had never ridden a Tadpole Trike until last month. After riding it for a few miles I think that is where I would go if I had more severe stability issues. Don't know if that is what you have, or something more special.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.