Two Spoke Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have Photodynamic Light Therapy with Levulan scheduled. After reading the side effect disclosures I'm curious about the practical after treatment effects my fellow elders have experienced.

Change your riding?

Change or modify your lifestyle?

·
Still learning . . .
1,292 Posts
Just for a few days. Stay out of sunlight for 48 hours. Lots of sun screen. Take it easy for a few days, sun wise. No physical effects except peeling skin in about a week. You will get through it and life will be normal. No long-term effects except be sure to use sunscreen and hats.

Went through it Monday of this week, riding Wednesday.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Well, it has been 48 hours since my PDT session. Dermatologist wants 72 hours out of the sun and away from bright light like that coming through a window So, I am effectively on House Arrest/Restriction for another day.

My face is a deep red, almost like raw beef and itches. Guess I'll itch and then peel for about a week. During this time I need to use moisturizer and sunscreen. Maybe, to cover the ugly, I need to visit the cosmetic counter for a skin colored product that both covers and has sunscreen.

I simply cannot believe people do this for strictly cosmetic reasons. This is expensive and inconvenient.

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,759 Posts
Here's hoping you'll be cleared for the outside soon! The experience really sounds awful, but better than the alternative I suppose. Hang in there!

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Indeed.

In my case, like a good many people of my generation, I was exposed to lots of sun and other things during my youth and young adulthood. All without benefit of sunscreen or other protection. Lots of burning and peeling. Now I have actinic keratosis that have advanced to the pre-cancerous stage. Very common I guess.

Maybe they wouldn't become cancerous before my Expiration Date. Or, maybe they would. So, yes, this is worth the effort. May need to have multiple treatments.

But, those who do this strictly for cosmetics? I don't understand that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.