Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A gentleman came into my shop yesterday and got into a conversation with me about the hazards of road riding. We exchanged crash stories and sketchy night-ride situation. Then he told me a story that basically blew me away. He told me he was riding a very popular road route east of Phoenix that briefly follows the Salt River. He was just leaving the area where the road diverges from the river and was being approached by a large puckup truck with several guys in the bed of the truck. They were wearing board shorts and blasting country music, most likely returning to town after a river excursion. As they passed him the threw an inflated river tube out of the bed of the truck directly at him. The tube was tied to the back of the truck in what seemed to be an attempt to lasso the rider and drag him behind the vehicle. The tube had missed him and the vehicle drove off but regardless i was appauled to hear about such direct disrepect for a rider.

This got me thinking about all the times i hae been assaulted while riding. (thrown drinks, being cut off, etc.) It makes me curious to hear about anyone elses close calls. If you've had a situation where a vehicle or otherwise has dangerously involved itself in your ride i want to hear about it!!

Please share, hopefully we can come up with ways to be safer riders and avoid these near misses.

·
DX's Biggest Member
793 Posts
Two philosophical points:

1. Always expect another person to do the most stupid, rude, and thoughtless thing possible; you can only be pleasantly surprised.

2. "Stranger" can very well equal "Danger", the wild animal instinctual maxim. More sensibly expressed: "Trust whoever you want, but ALWAYS cut the cards."

These ideas could have better prepared this rider for the rampant ******* stupidity he encountered. Sometimes I'm amazed (other times disgusted) by how LOW the IQ can fall before someone becomes non-functional. (I honestly think the entire collection of fools in that truck couldn't put it all together and match my daughter's IQ....)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts