Riding difficulties as you get older

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by Skidmark, Nov 7, 2009.

1. Skidmark

Skidmark Cycling for life

Although at 56 I may not have seen the fall of the Roman Empire there are days I feel like my body has been around that long. I love where I am at in life. That said, having just returned from nine days aboard a cruise ship with my wife I was / am, suprised how my riding conditioning quickly fell off. Every day on the ship I either jogged a couple of miles or used the eliptial for a half hour and some days both. That in addition to pushups and situps. I have made two one hour or so rides in the last two days after our return. Not only do I get dead legs after but my arse is wore out as well! Average speed is way down. When I left I was riding two or three hours without much of and issue. The wind is cranking twenty five which is some of it but I was not expecting to loose so much so fast.

2. Xela

Xela New Member Tavern Member

You'll be back. I think a 25 mph wind probably has more to do with it than you think.

Also, I'll be stuck on a ship next April. My wife really loves cruises. I much prefer land based vacations. It will be a part of the world I've never been to, though. But I have a buddy of mine trying to talk me into doing Breathless Agony right after we get back. Not sure I want to commit to a ride like that soon after a cruise.

3. eaton

eaton New Member

I took 3 weeks off before BA '09. It hurt but my time was comparable to the previous years.

4. Xela

Xela New Member Tavern Member

You riding it next year?

5. eaton

eaton New Member

I doubt it. May 1 is my anniversary.

6. Skidmark

Oh, I'll get back. One way or another. I was also shocked that I had gained three pounds. I am free tomorrow morning so plan a twenty mile ride, damm the wind. The hot tub felt good this evening! Next September we have a fourteen day cruise on a tall ship (sail boat). They are much smaller. Im thinking cardio will be difficult to get done and the climate is very warm. Hopefully I will be suprised. I also perfer the resort vacations but there are places to visit that we feel are best done from a ship.

7. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

How was the Cruise then Skidmark?

8. Skidmark

A cruise is what I call a low maintance vacation. You dont come home and show off a bunch of pictures to the family. This time it was just my wife and I. Not really travel to see new places or experience new things. Just some "us" time letting our hair down (if I had it) so to speak. Rented a clear two kayak in Nasau for the day. Ten minutes into that going in circles having a dual with the paddles I had her put hers down and I paddled alone. Pretty cool, and saw a big bull shark. A day at the cruise line private island was very nice. Rented bikes, snorkled, watched the young ladies from behind my mirror sun glasses, enjoyed a few adult beverages. Day and a half at Key West during Fantasy Fest punishing our livers and again enjoying the visuals. Day in Cosmel. Did a one tank drift dive in the am, then enjoyed the afternoon on a catamaran with fifty other folks snorkling and hanging at the C/O beach (see previous about sunglasses). Drinking some kind of Mexican beer and Margarita's I decided I was studly enough to climb the inflatable rock climbing wall all the young dudes were falling off of. I made the top, but fell trying to stand and slid down the backside entering the water with a world class belly smacker. My wife is still laughing and I just stopped taking asprin.

9. Mike1jw

Mike1jw Member

The trick to paddling with two people is the front person provides the power, the rear person is mainly the rudder. The good thing is, the person in front doesn't have to know that. ;) Just start paddling anytime they turn around to look at you so they think your helping with the power. Your not in a race, right.

It might seem I'm the type to take advantage of a woman, but really I'm not. I just know how to avoid conflicts. :cool:

10. mtndoc

mtndoc New Member

Skidmark,

I'm 57 and I notice some of the same things you describe. If I take more than 1 day off I suffer, if I ride everyday, even just 10miles, I do better than if I take time off.

I'm not sure of the physiology of it, but I'm doin some research. I was a marathoner for most of my life and turned to bikes a few years ago and heavy for the last 10mos.

Some of the things I've noticed,
    If I ride a long hard ride, 30+miles with climbs the next day my legs are dead
    When I take 2 or more days off, I have nothing, legs are gone and cardio suffers??
    If I ride the same ride for several days I'm able to improve steadily, which is nice,
    but if I take a day off I suffer...

Let me know how this compares to your results, and if I find some good info and studies on us "older" physiologies I'll let you know....seems nobody has really got good stuff regarding what happens to our older bodies, but I'm lookin

DrB

11. mtndoc

mtndoc New Member

Alex,

My wife likes cruises a lot as well, she doesn't feel like she has too cook and clean everything... no matter how much I help, she has to cook and clean when we go on vacation, but on a cruise she can't....wonder if your wife is the same???

DrB

12. wild

wild Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man

Man I love cruises, that is the only vacation where all I have to do is show up, thay take care of everything .
    I am wondering how this time off the bike will be on my rideing back is starting to feel better, I am ready to go but will give it the full week rest.

13. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

My only true primal fear is of water. I think a cruise for me would be the equivalent of torture. The wife wants to go on one. I said good luck on that.

14. tapan37

tapan37 New Member

At 72, I still cycle every day and have, for several years now, done an annual European cycle camping tour.

This year I cycled from Rotterdam to Berlin and covered some 1761 kms on my velo by the time I got back home.

I have already planned my 2010 tour and am about to finalise it by booking my travel details to get there and back.

BTW. I have had 5 different boats in my life and have no aversion to water.

Well no aversion unless it is falling heavily out of the clouds and I am pedalling!

15. Smiley

Smiley New Member

Excellent tapan37!! I wanna be just like you when I grow up! :D

16. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

Lucky you tapan37. If the bath water gets to deep I freak. Find showers less terrifying. It's weird I know.

17. mikebike

mikebike Florida Cyclist

you want to be a Man ---:rolleyes:smiley????

18. Burr

Burr Cranking Old Guy

Damn Skidmark,
    You go on a cruise to relax, relax, kick back, have a drink and look at the women and enjoy.
    All the daily crap will be there when you get back.

Hell, relax.

19. gatorguy

gatorguy New Member

After reading this thread I don't feel so bad about being so tired after essentially what amounted to a six-week lay-off.

With the shorter days and colder/rainy weather I really feel the lack of good ride time on the hills. Not so much the steep but short one, but over 10% that's over a half mile long kills me right now. There is one on my regular route that is about a half mile long and ranges from 12% to 20% (according to mapmyride.com) and I have nothing left in the tank when I get to the top. Before I slowed down I was doing it with much less pain and actually rather looked forward to it.

BTW, I'm 56 too.

20. GrizzlyBear67

GrizzlyBear67 Member

Didn't they have a good stationary bicycle? I rode one once that had a screen out in front that had little guys trying to kick my azz. Boy was that tough. It sounds like you were more disciplined than I would have been, I've heard about those all you can eat all day long food bars.:love: