Riding the Bicycle after extended time off

Discussion in 'Road Bikes' started by gatorguy, Nov 7, 2009.

1. gatorguy

gatorguy New Member

I have not ridden much in the last 6 weeks due to schedule and crappy weather. Today was great so I went out to do one of my regular 15 mile routes and felt like I was pulling 2 tons of weight behind me. Can 6 weeks really make that much difference?

I was very discouraged when I finished. The weather is supposed to be nice again tomorrow so I'll go after it again.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2009
  2. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

I had a friend in Australia who tied a car tire behind his bike, and dragged it around the track in his backyard, as part of his training regimen. Is that what it felt like?

Seriously though. Six weeks is a long time off the bike. Best to get back into it at an easy pace.

3. Mike1jw

Mike1jw Member

Thanks Hack! I'll have to keep that in mind. I've been off the bike for a while, (waiting for an insurance check and my new frame to come in) and I think my first thought would have been to take a really long ride to get it out of my system. You probably saved me from possibly hurting myself. :thumbsup:

4. gatorguy

gatorguy New Member

LOL! Yeah, probably

5. mikebike

mikebike Florida Cyclist

Yep....6 weeks is a long time off the bike.

Sometimes one week will actually allow you to come back and ride quicker...BUT..6 weeks would take it's toll. The toll will be also directly correlated to how old you are --- the older you are the more the effect:rolleyes:

6. gatorguy

gatorguy New Member

Well I wasn't exactly off, I did 24 miles with my GF a couple weeks ago, but at a very relaxed pace, maybe 10mph. I was doing 15 miles every other day with a 30 to 40 on a weekend with avg speed 16 to 17 mph, so definately out of sync. I''m 56 so recovery doesn't come as quick as it used to, maybe atrophy begins faster than it used to as well. :(

I rode a 12 today through some pretty hilly trails and felt much better today.

Of course it may have had something to do with the fact that I checked my air pressure and found that I rode yesterday on 57 psi where I usually ride 115 to 120. I'm in Clydesdale territory and I'm lucky I didn't flat out.

7. djcyberlegend

djcyberlegend Group rookie

That happened to me today, I've been off the bike for a little over a month for the same reasons.

Link

8. bantam700

bantam700 New Member

oh yeah, I've been taking it easy since a big ride in late September, did 25 yesterday and 35 today and both rides were way harder than they should have been. Of todays killer headwind didn't help matters...

9. wild

wild Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man

After I rode that 62 miles it was a week or two befor I felt like I was back in the groove. About 2 weeks ago I rode 20 miles and it seemed like going around the block and not the 17 mile block I have going around the swamp. Then I got dumped off the bike, and now I have a lot of pain in my hip. Went to the Dr. he said stay off the bike for a week. So here I sit broken harted, I sure hope I can get back on the bike soon. O yea i am 65 years old

Last edited: Nov 9, 2009
  10. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

All the time. I fall into and out of good eating habits. I've been out this week (I ate two pounds of chocolate last night for dinner, Hand to god 2 lbs) and as I started cruising today I felt lethargic. I'm young but not getting any younger. No what I mean?

11. gatorguy

gatorguy New Member

Holy Moly!!

12. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

Right. I know. As I get older I find I crave things in large quantities. I don't like mountain dew for instance but I still want to down a 2 liter of it.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2009
  13. chh55

chh55 Drink plenty of water!!!

You really need to ride hard 2-3 times a week to keep it up, otherwise you will feel it. 6 weeks is an eternity.

"I ate two pounds of chocolate last night for dinner, Hand to god 2 lbs"
    -that seems to require some kind of further explanation!