Riding the temperature

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by LarryM, Dec 2, 2010.

1. LarryM

LarryM Eocyclist

You know how some cyclists ride their age around their birthdays? E.g I rode 69 miles a few days after my 69th BD ( actually, I rode 72, but don't sweat the details).

Well, I decided to try something new ... riding the temp (in F)

For each of the last three days I rode the tempreature ( in F) ... 28, 29, and 34 miles. The wind was 15, 25, and 10 mph each day. It's great out there in the corn and bean fields with a light dusting of snow on everything.

My riding outfit includes hiking shoes (platform pedals now), smart wool socks, leg warmers, regular riding shorts, an underarmour shirt, a running jersey, a light fleece, a windbreaker, and good gloves. I wear full cover sunglasses to protect from the wind and have an ear band under my helmet.

The outfit is good for 3 to 4 hours riding down to 20F to 25F, then I need to warm up for a few minutes ... except when the wind is over 20 mph, the wind chill starts to get to me. It helps if I keep my speed down to about 10-12 mph to decrease the effect of wind chill. I also spin a little faster to stay warm.

I just pray that I don't get a flat out there in the cold.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2010
  2. wild

wild Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man

The wind got me yesterday too, rode out with the sun at my back on the sunny side of the road and a tail wind. When I hit my turn around I went to the shadey side of the road with the wind in my face :eek: cold, windy enough to stop the bike a fue times, it was only a 22 mile ride but I was glade to get home.
    Now what should I wear this fine crisp morning, my boat shoes , some under sox, with a light pair of wool sox, my compreshun ware top and bottom a bike jersey, my bike shorts,and my flece jacket and a wind braker, O yes my helmit liner and a pair of leather insulated gloves, that should do it, it is only 30 here
    I have all day so I will wait for the sun to come up over the tree tops :rolleyes: retirement is nice

Last edited: Dec 4, 2010

3. rola643

rola643 Two skinny Js Staff Member Admin Staff Mod Team Tavern Member

I just about decided after this mornings MISERABLE ride that anything below 40 degrees and wind will NOT happen with me ! It was 36 degrees with a nice 10-15 mph breeze this morning and my core stayed plenty warm but my thighs and knees( and yes I wore Bontrager insulated RXL Bibs and UA Base layer) were just to cold and never would warm up. I just could not produce any kind of output today at all. Probably doesn't help I was stuck in a truck the last week and 1/2 with a smoker inhaling all the disgusting second hand smoke. I would have been better off just smoking the da** things.

4. BobH

BobH New Member

I'm still sorting out the clothing / temperature combinations. So far 20 degrees F is as low as I have ridden in. Wind was low, I found that every thing was fine except my face. It was very aware of wind chill, so I kept things down to 10MPH.

So far my clothing is very basic, Dry Start shorts, UnderArmour series 2 bottoms, lined nylon gogging pants and wellington boots to keep my ankles warm. Top side is covered by UnderArmour, windbreaker' and, a nylon lined coat. I usually wear a sock cap, in this weather, I needed a folded cloth stuck in the sock cap to protect my forehead from the wind chill. Oh, and big insulated gloves. I seldom ride more that 15 miles at a time.

This is my first winter of riding since the early 1960's, cold has taken on new meaning.

BobH.

5. wild

Well yesterdays ride was terable got out about 3 miles and the sun was no longer shining down on me, untill I got near home on my 17 mile ride, the wind was comming from the side so I got it bouth ways :eek:.
    :rolleyes: looks like it is colder to day so I will have to look for some warmer things to ware. I can't remember what I wore last year for this weather, my beard must be getting thiner, I know my hair is, my face was cold .
    Retirement is good old age is not :D

Last edited: Dec 4, 2010
  6. Xela

Xela New Member Tavern Member

This morning's pre-work ride just happened to be 25 miles in 25 degrees; all before the sun came up. The roads around here are so peaceful that time of day.

I guess if you take my average speed of 18 mph into account, that gives an average windchill of about 12 degrees. Wind was 5 to 10 mph from the East.

I've pretty much got my winter gear nailed, with the exception of one area. Thank goodness for WindStopper. Today I had on Pearl Izumi Cyclone toe covers, Assos Winter Plus socks, my Gore knee warmers, Assos Mille Bib shorts covered by a Pearl Izumi thermal bib tight, Castelli AirCo base layer, Castelli Stelvio WindStopper jacket, Pearl Izumi beanie, and Specialized Sub Zero gloves.

Truthfully, that jacket would be too warm if it was any warmer. I have a Craft Performance Windblocker jersey that get's used if its 28 to 36 degrees or so and a Castelli Trasparante Wind jersey for about 36 to 43. Above that, I go with short sleeve jerseys and arm warmers.

7. Burr

Burr Cranking Old Guy

You Guys are Tough.

Damn

8. greenhorn

greenhorn greenhorn

I have trouble riding any colder than 28 degrees. The wind hitting my head gives me a headache if I reach anything over 10 mph. I have a nice insulated skull cap but with the helmets made to cool your noggin', it is counterproductive in the winter. Do you guys that ride in this extreme cold wear something special on your head? Like a skull cap with a windbreaker lining? Or maybe a different helmet with less or smaller holes for ventilation? Any direction I ride there is a quick descent before I get away from the house, that 30mph descent kills me in the cold temps.

9. Xela

Xela New Member Tavern Member

I wear both the Pearl Izumi skull cap and a Gore WindStopper Balaclava. I limit the Balaclava to about 20 or less. My helmet, Giro Ionos, came with a winter liner that blocks a lot of the ventilation. I pretty much have that in there from 45 on down.

10. Grenouille

Grenouille Grenouille

I'm riding the temperature too. But doing it in Celsius not Fahrenheit. It was at freezing point today, so i rode zero.

11. wild

:rolleyes: you might be on to somthing useing Celsius instead of Fahrenheit ;) :D

12. LarryM

LarryM Eocyclist

If it gets colder do you ride your route backwards??:D

13. Burr

Burr Cranking Old Guy

Merry Christmas Guys

14. Grenouille

Grenouille Grenouille

Did a Christmas ride at about 25 degrees (F not C, that Celsius backwards riding thing seemed too difficult !). No sun but no wind, felt great to be out ! No traffic, everybody was unwrapping presents I guess. Happy Holidays, one and all !

15. wild

Presents, you got presents. Coal again this year for me

Last edited: Dec 27, 2010
  16. Burr

Burr Cranking Old Guy

Electric Drill

How wife said I have to use, I said YES DEAR