Riser block a must for riding on a trainer?

Discussion in 'Beginners Forum' started by dlucky0803, Jan 18, 2013.

1. dlucky0803

dlucky0803 NOOB

Hey guys. Need some insight. I just bought a used Blackburn Fluid trainer. I'm wondering, do I need a riser block for the front? or is the bike stable enough with just the rear on the trainer?

2. Buffalo-jon

Buffalo-jon Well-Known Member Tavern Member

It all depends on how you feel on it. If you feel like you are leaning forward you can either buy the block, or just take 2 foot long pieces of a 2 x 8 and screw them together and that should be high enough (3"or so) to make you level. I did this for two years in my basement. I have since moved the bike upstairs, and my son bought me the block for christmas. I don't realy notice any difference between the 2 x 8's and the block. As far as the trainer being stable enough on its own. The cyclops I own is more than enough by itself. I just felt like I was always leaning forward without something under the front tire.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2013

3. synack

synack The Back Row

A roll of duct tape, phone book, etc. :)

4. Xela

Xela New Member Tavern Member

I used my University Physics 1 book for years. Most use it got for sure.

5. Poolie

Poolie New Member

Yellow pages.

6. zero3one

zero3one Member

A riser is not necessary but you will need something to prop the front wheel up so that the bike sits level. Otherwise the front end will be lower and you will put a lot more pressure on your groin and arms/hands.

I used my trainer for a few weeks without one, I just put a bunch of foam mats underneath but I bought the CycleOps climbing riser and that it was worth the money. It keeps the front end stable and has 3 level adjustments and can even be used with a mtb tire should I want to throw my mtb on the trainer.

7. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

That's comforting, coming from someone in your line of work. :)

8. superj

superj still learning Tavern Member

I use a piece of 4x4 cut to about 12" long

Last edited: Jan 19, 2013
  9. Jahwarrior

Jahwarrior Member

10. offrdmania

offrdmania Frickle Frack

HAHA, thought I was the only one who used a roll of duct tape!

11. cderalow

cderalow Senior Member

I've got two of the cyclops ones stacked to actually put my bike on a slight incline.

12. Ross14

Ross14 New Member

Any kind of thick book or even just a chunk of wood, don't waste your money on a block.

13. zero3one

zero3one Member

Risers are cheap. You can find them starting at about 10 bucks. Like I said, I have the CycleOps one and I find it convenient that I can change three different levels depending on which way it faces. It also holds the wheel nicely compared to a block or a stack of books. To each his own but for some of us, it's not a waste of money.

14. mcvouty

mcvouty New Member

I agree with all the above. For stability, probably not needed. For comfort, it's a must.

I found a little plastic box full of washers down in the basement that is just the right size to lift my front tire up. Made a world of difference on my arms.

15. TheBiggBear

TheBiggBear Junior Member

I use a couple old Cisco books with a tile on top, to give a level surface, and then my CycleOps Riser block on days I want to "ride uphill". I find the one CycleOps Riser block not enough to give any real incline.

16. dlucky0803

dlucky0803 NOOB

Thanks for all the comments. Getting together with a group tomorrow morning to try out the indoor training.

17. baj32161

baj32161 American Expatriate Tavern Member

Duct tape works for everything :D. As to the OP, I used my trainer quite a bit up here in Canada and have used trainers for a long while during the winters. I have used them both with and without a riser block. I have to say that I prefer using a riser block, as I like the more stable feel of my front wheel. YMMV of course.

Cheers,

Brian J.