Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Recreational and Utility Rider :)
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been thinking about buying a entry level road bike come Spring, (2013) but, I have two odd forms of arthritis, (Reiter's Syndrome/Pusdeo Gout) and it's left me with Weak Knees!:eek: I rode my lighter hybrid, (2011 Jamis Allegro 1), thru the Garden of the Gods yesterday and I NEEDED a 32/32 combo to make the hills, didn't use the smallest chainwheel (46/32/22, stock was 48/38/28), but since road bikes have REALLY small cassettes and larger chain wheels, is it possible to set up a chainwheel set say from a 50/34 to a 46/26 combo so I'd be able to have a 26/26 hill climbing combo??

I doubt the knees will do anything but get worse as I continue to age but I'd really like to try a "lite" road bike, (ok, an affordable lite road bike), looking at a Jamis Ventrua Sport (23 lbs.), it comes stock with a 50/34 compact double and 12-26 cassette, I just don't think that will cut it on the BIG hills through out Colorado Springs and I'd like to stay with the stock Sora rear derailluer?? Thanks for the insite, it's appreciated!:thumbsup:

·
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I guess I should add, that I had the "chainwheel set" 46/32/22 switch out from the stock 48/28/38 on my Allegro 1 cause I was going to use it as a "non-suspension" dual sport. Decided I like the bike too much and made it my lite road hybrid, switching from 700cX38 heavy treaded tires to 700cX25 road tires.

My everyday bike is my 2012 Jamis Coda Sport, it's still got the "stock" 48/38/28 with a 11-32 cassette and since it's a couple of pounds heavier, (27 lbs. to the Allegro 1's 25 lbs.), I did have to drop to the 28 chainwheel and the 2nd. largest cog on the cassette to ride those same HILLS through the Garden of the Gods. As I'm sure you can figure out, I can't MASH with these weak knees so I SPIN, FYI.

·
Premium Member
1,190 Posts
I know this doesn't answer your question, but you might want to look into ebikes, one of our members (Vibiker) seems to be very knowledgeable in this area. and this may be a very good fit for you. you could private message him if you'd like.

·
Registered
9,925 Posts
Do a Google search to see if they make chain rings in the size you want with the same BCD as the chain rings that come on the bike you are looking at. Don't quote me on this, but I don't think you will find rings in the sizes that you are looking for that will fit a road bike crank.

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
I am rideing a Jamis Aurora elite it has a 50/39/30 with an 11-34, 9 speed. That should be plenty low for climeing, all you have to do is find a bike with a similur setup in the frame you want, I know it is not as easy as it sounds. I made a list of what I wanted and then I had to make some choices.
Good luck on your new bike

·
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, well I'll have to bail on the e-bike idea as it's just "too pricey" for our limited funds, I'll see if there's any "smaller chainwheels" in the aftermarket, have to find the BCD on the Ventrua Sport model crankset, probably 5 bolt and John V, your probably right as I got a feeling the size chainwheel's I want would only come as 4 bolt units. Wild, that's a sweet touring machine you've got, but out of my budget, rats! If I went to a "triple", I'd probably have to change out both deralliuers, SIGH. Again thanks all, have a most excellent day! :)

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
It's usually less expensive to replace the whole crankset than the chainrings. Even a crankset with bottom bracket included on sale will cost less than three chainrings. So you can put a MTB crankset on a road bike. If the bike doesn't come with a stock triple, you might need a new front derailleur to allow the extra shift. But I think changing the cogset rather than the crankset will give you a wider range of gearing for less cost.

As Wild points out, an 11-34 cassette paired with a triple crankset will get you a granny gear lower than the one to one ratio you desire regardless of the chainring sizes. :thumbsup:

A problem you might encounter when replacing the stock cogset with a wider range cogset would be the rear derailleur, but a road bike with stock triple crank will most likely have a long cage derailleur that can handle the 11-34.

In summary, buy a road bike equipped with a triple crankset. Replace the cogset.

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
Yes, you do nead a long arm derailer with an 11 - 34 cogset and the ajustment on the brifters is tuchy.

·
Registered
748 Posts
My experience with my arthritis is it bothers me MUCH less now that I am in a decent shape.
I have a really bad shoulder. While I was working on it, it hurt, a lot, more than normal in fact. But I can't tell you the last flair-up I had. It has been a long time. For something that was chronic.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts