Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking into upgrading from my old steel frame bike to something lighter, faster, you know the standard stuff.

My only issue is I'm a commuter and so my bike has to work for fun, exercise, and getting me and a few things to work. Not many nice road frames come with bosses for a rear rack and I'm not sure I really want one on there all the time, so I'm wondering if anyone has used one of the clamp on racks that attaches to the seat post with success of failure. I just need it to carry my pannier with lunch, coffee and some clothes, maybe 10-12 pounds max.

It would be great to hear others thoughts or experience.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I have seen them with seat post clamps that have a downward bar that would keep a set of panniers out of the wheels. Mostly designed more for mountain bikes that are full suspension, but might be what you need for you particular needs.

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
I think Bikesdirect has a cupple of Ti bikes with brazeons for a rear rack Motobecane century team ti, is one I have bin thinking about

·
Registered
330 Posts
Raleigh Revenio road bikes have rear rack mounts.

The seatpost-mount racks will work, but have a tendency to slip down or rotate to the side. Get a bolt-type clamp one rather than a quick-release - the QR ones typically can't be tightened enough to stay stationary for long.

There's a road bike-specific rear rack, an Axiom, I think, that mounts using the rear wheel skewer. It's incredibly narrow, so no top-mount bag - panniers only.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the help
I was actually more curious at to others experience with that sort of rack it had been a disaster or worked well.
thanks

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's going on a CAAD10, it is not a commuting bike I know, but mine will be a commuter as well as being my primary mode of transport, and a whole lot of fun. I think I will be sticking the Delta bolt on rack on it as opposed to a quick release, still easy to put on when I need a rack and off when I don't but not as easier for others to remove it if they decide they would like one.
I know that putting a rack on a CAAD10 is probably a biking sin, similar to putting a ski rack on a Porsche but that's okay.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts