Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can this be done?I was wondering if i can put a 130mm 36 hole hub on my tec9 43mm deep v rims,

thanks,
luis

·
Registered
330 Posts
A hub is a hub. As long as the number of holes matches, anything will work. Differing numbers of holes can be accommodated for, but it's better to have them match.

·
Registered
330 Posts
How are you planning on stopping?
The 43mm Tec 9 rims, AFAIK, have a machined braking surface.

Of course, hipsters don't like brakes anyway. And general society prefers that they don't have brakes ... so that we can nip that offshoot of the genetic tree in the bud before it pollutes the future.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks guys , I'm new at this so I didn't know, all hubs have the same width, where the spokes attach. it's the axle that varies. right?

·
Registered
330 Posts
thanks guys , I'm new at this so I didn't know, all hubs have the same width, where the spokes attach. it's the axle that varies. right?
There are a million or so combinations out there. Hub flange diameters differ, flange spacing from center varies, etc. Plus, track hubs are usually 120mm width and road hubs are 130mm width for the rear.

ie: if you're thinking about reusing your spokes, it's almost guaranteed to be impossible.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
I don't get the comment about paying Phil Woods (to shorten the spokes?) but I think it was a snarky wisecrack anyway, not to be taken seriously. Whether or not your rims are compatible with rim brakes is indeed something to consider. I don't think rims need to be machined, as long as they have a flat surface that the brake pads can align with. Platypus and Industry Hack know more than me about that sort of thing, so listen to them. Although one of them seems unwilling to explain himself in a way that a neophyte can understand, maybe he will make himself clear.

"How are you planning on stopping?"

Is this a riddle, Socrates? deleon has made clear that he isn't knowledgeable about bikes. Do you want to help him or just ask him confusing questions?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yes the rims are machined for brakes. I curently use brakes front and back with them, and as far as the spokes, I kinda figured i wasn't going to be able to reuse them. I really like the wheels although haven't tried too many to compare, I like them. another question would be do spokes for a 700c rim come in different lenghts?

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
Although one of them seems unwilling to explain himself in a way that a neophyte can understand, maybe he will make himself clear.

"How are you planning on stopping?"

Is this a riddle, Socrates? deleon has made clear that he isn't knowledgeable about bikes. Do you want to help him or just ask him confusing questions?
While I am not intimately familiar with every rim out there, (and Tec9 rims are so crappy, you'll have a hard time finding a website that takes ownership of them, hence the lack of information) I'm sure that the mention of a 43mm "fixed gear" rim implies a lack of brakes to many people. In that context, my question was quite valid. And it's generally not advisable to use the painted, anodized, or powder coated, non-machined and non-parallel surface of a deep v wheel for braking. His are machined, so other than that nasty seam, his brakes should work. Sadly, the weight of the wheel will work against him for both accelerating and decelerating.

Phil Wood has a tidy way of making long spokes shorter, and rolling new threads. I used an $80 Hozan, as the Phil Wood model will set you back about $3500 or so.

·
12,350 Posts
yes the rims are machined for brakes. I curently use brakes front and back with them, and as far as the spokes, I kinda figured i wasn't going to be able to reuse them. I really like the wheels although haven't tried too many to compare, I like them. another question would be do spokes for a 700c rim come in different lenghts?
Just curious, what do you like about the wheels, and what bike do you have them on?

Spokes come in so many options and sizes, it's not even funny. Straight gauge, single butted, double butted, and aero are just some of the options. And they can be cut and rolled to the correct length.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i like the looks, to me rims are rims, I know they come in many weights and qualities, I'm sure I am better off getting a different wheelset made for road bikes, I was seeing since I already had them if I should use them. Im just starting out with cycling and honestly I don't and can't dump 300+ on a set. the bike was un brand cheapy I got feels nice and came in light for me under 25lbs, for now that's as light as I should go with my weight, well see in what happens in the future

·
12,350 Posts
Don't think that I'm just trying to be the cranky party-pooper, but unless you have the tools and supplies to build a set of wheels, what you've got in mind is a terrible idea. A good set of spokes, plus nipples, and the labor to build up wheels will set you back about as much as a complete new set. And when you're done building that custom set, you'll have a mediocre quality wheelset worth far less than they cost you. Compare the cost of parts and labor to a Shimano WH-R500 wheelset from JensonUSA.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts