Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a nice shiny Giant defy 2 after a ride what if any form of maintenance is needed to keep things in good nick ?
Do I need to lubricate the gears and chain etc if so what is the best type of spray oil to use

Ta

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
Maintenance depends on where you ride it. If you're out in the bush, and pick up a lot of dust, then a dry lube on your chain might be best. If your trails take you through water crossing, you might prefer a wet lube. It's best to check at your local shop for suggestions.

After a ride, you should wipe any crud and grime off your bike, paying attention the chain, hubs, fork sliders, and exposed cables.

Where do you live?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maintenance depends on where you ride it. If you're out in the bush, and pick up a lot of dust, then a dry lube on your chain might be best. If your trails take you through water crossing, you might prefer a wet lube. It's best to check at your local shop for suggestions.

After a ride, you should wipe any crud and grime off your bike, paying attention the chain, hubs, fork sliders, and exposed cables.

Where do you live?
wales uk all road riding so no trails etc. As you say I will have a chat in my local shop.
Just noticed my topic for some wierd reason I put mountain not road lol

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
wales uk all road riding so no trails etc. As you say I will have a chat in my local shop.
Just noticed my topic for some wierd reason I put mountain not road lol
I fixed the thread title, sorry about that. For some reason, I thought that the Defy 2 was a mountain bike. Anyway, that changes my advice just a bit. While you still need to keep your drivetrain clean, unless you're riding in a dust storm or rain, you probably will only need to wipe your chain down and clean/lube according to the lube manufacturer's guidelines. Road bikes are pretty low maintenance. A drop of quality oil at the pivot points of all moving parts and any exposed cable is all you should need between tune-ups. Wiping it down with a damp cloth after a ride won't hurt either.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts