Two Spoke Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 199 Posts

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been working on a review of this bike for a while, and it's nearly time to publish it - just needs some finishing touches and photos.

No matter how many advances the manufacturers make in materials like carbon fiber, and the advanced manipulation of aluminum alloys, many of us still prefer steel. With that in mind, I decided to review a classically styled steel framed ride that nearly all cyclists have been drawn to at one time or another.

Stay tuned.

·
Registered
625 Posts
and the bike is???

·
Registered
625 Posts
Will it be affordable? I'm torn about my next road bike purchase. I have decided against an all carbon bike. I do like steel, but unless you know where to look, it's getting harder to find, or it's expensive (as in custom built). So I lean towards Ti (Motobecane) or hydroformed alloy/carbo mix (Neuvation).

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After seeing the $10K+ plastic bikes that few can afford, I'm committed to only reviewing products that most people can afford.

·
Registered
625 Posts
After seeing the $10K+ plastic bikes that few can afford, I'm committed to only reviewing products that most people can afford.
Cool.

I love it how I walk into a shop and talk about steel, titanium, and/or aluminum and a $2k budget, and they're showing me $2.5-3k carbon. Sales speak like, "invest in the frame and you can always upgrade to the components you want later," or "save the money for the increased cost." They poo-poo my concerns that I weigh well over 200 pounds and don't want to ride a plastic bike.

My friend Larry, who helps assemble and fix my bike (he used to help his dad run a bike shop 20-30 years ago) is getting close to retiring as a firefighter. He told me last night about an accident scene he responded to recently where a bicyclist hit a car from behind on a plastic bike, and severed the frame where the top tube and down tube meet the head tube. I said, "Severed?" He told me that it wasn't just cracked, it was completely sheared through. Now I know that could happen to other frame materials as well, but you don't necessarily have to replace the whole frame to repair them.

·
YAY BAIKS!
1,507 Posts
I love steel. I have decided that I must have a Rivendell A. Homer Hilsen before I die.

·
spin... spin.. spin
1,613 Posts
i love my steel commuter, can't wait to see what it is. i want another steel road bike.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Pretty sure more people have wanted this one than a Huffy.
I think you misunderestimate the Huffy loyalists in the world outside of this board!

·
Registered
625 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
I was hoping to wrap it up tonight, but need some sleep.
No (sleep is for wimps) problem. I understand (sleep is overrated) the need to catch some shuteye. It's just that you have us (there will be time enough to sleep the long sleep when we die) in suspense.
:D

·
YAY BAIKS!
1,507 Posts
My buddy has a WallGoose mtb. I invited him to go MTBing on the trails. He refused.

1 - 20 of 199 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.