Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
My personal bike is a Bianchi. You will find that your answer lies in the success of Baskin Robbins - there is a flavor for everyone and everyone has a favorite! The basis for my decision was more aesthetics and the way the bike felt when I test rode it. The Bianchi had a geometry that I liked and it fit me well. Getting the proper fit has to be the primary objective followed by what you personally like. If you don't really like the bike, you will not ride it...fit or not.

·
889 Posts
I can't say which brand is the best but I do like the Specialized, Pinarello, Bianchi, Cervelo and Orbea bikes.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Love my OCLV Trek. Others have other preferences. Basically the best bike is the one that fits you, does what you want, and that you like, be it road, hybrid, mountain, etc.

·
American Expatriate
248 Posts
Well this is a loaded questiin if ever there was one in cycling. For me, there is no best road bike, or best bike of any type, for that matter.

What you must decide is what your riding style is (or is going to be). Then you need to determine your budget. If you are a beginner, as you claim to be, you must then start your research. This is easy to overdo, but know this, any 2 or 3 bikes at a given price point , will be very similar and, often, the main difference may be looks and MAYBE a slight difference in frame geometry. All of the major manufacturers make very good bikes at all of their price points, with their entry-level bikes starting at around $1000 (you can buy onlinr for less but this is rarely a good idea when searching for your first road bike).It would also be wise to see what bike shops are in your area, and see what they carry. A good local bike shop can be invaluable....even if you are NOT a beginner. Go out on some test rides but do not expect to be an expert afterwards, as test rides sometimes are not long enough to tell you what you may want to know.. Use the time test riding to get accustomed to the shifting, the fit of the bike, the feel of it (by feel I mean handling and comfort). See if the bike feels stable or twitchy. How does it accelerate?

Above all....the MOST IMPORTANT THING IS FIT!!!!! Get the proper size and get it fitted for you. You will hear this all of the time....because it is true. A bike that
does not fit you well will not feel good to ride, this, you will not ride it. A properly fitted road bike is a joy to ride.

Don't get too hung up on brand, do your homework, find a good LBSo on some test rides, g and you should be well on your way.

Cheers,

Brian J.

·
Premium Member
12,350 Posts
The best brand is Giant. Not only do they offer a huge line of bikes, but they build them for plenty of other companies as well. And they sponsor a lot of cycling events. But that doesn't mean they make the best bikes.

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
I second the Giants. Their geometry fits me better than any others for some reason. Plus you get a ton of bike for your dollar.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Giant also does a pretty good job of pursuing price point, without sacrificing quality, in my opinion . At the time, Giant was the best thing that happened to Schwinn . Panasonic was good for them as well . Treks are also very nice bicycles for the money , and they also own LeMond and Gary Fisher .

1 - 14 of 14 Posts