Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I wasn't sure where to post this. I have a question, it may be ridiculous, but I'm learning as I go.

I have a specialized hybrid, I was wondering if it was possible/how hard it would be if I wanted to swap out the hybrid handlebars for road bike ones.

If anyone could offer advice I'd love it, thanks so much.

·
Premium Member
8,414 Posts
Hey Meghan,

Not a bad question at all, I actually am looking at doing the same thing to my Cannondale hybrid.

It actually isn't hard at all, the problems/costs/thinking comes from swapping over shifters/brakes.

I'm guessing you probably have grip shifters or possibly trigger shifters? You'll need to swap out those out for an STI style or bar-end, maybe there's a way of using thumbies, but not that I know of. Also double check the bar diameters.

For now, I am going to adjust my stem so it is all the way down/forward and rotate my handlebars until some cheap components come up for sale.

Ahh, and the saddle! You may want a different saddle, those sofas they use on hybrids are not the best (for some folks, anyway) for a forward cant on a bicycle.

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
Meghan, I can't help with this specific question, but hopefully TwoSpoke will be able to help you learn as you go. Introduce yourself over here and stick around awhile. Good to have you!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
kneedrachen said:
Hey Meghan,

Not a bad question at all, I actually am looking at doing the same thing to my Cannondale hybrid.

It actually isn't hard at all, the problems/costs/thinking comes from swapping over shifters/brakes.

I'm guessing you probably have grip shifters or possibly trigger shifters? You'll need to swap out those out for an STI style or bar-end, maybe there's a way of using thumbies, but not that I know of. Also double check the bar diameters.

For now, I am going to adjust my stem so it is all the way down/forward and rotate my handlebars until some cheap components come up for sale.

Ahh, and the saddle! You may want a different saddle, those sofas they use on hybrids are not the best (for some folks, anyway) for a forward cant on a bicycle.
I do have trigger shifters, I wanted an opinion on here before I go to the shop and ask some questions, just wanted to make sure it wasn't too silly lol

Thanks for all your advice! I will begin the transformation carefully

Also, I definetily need a new saddle, mine is terrible!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
kneedrachen said:
Not silly at all, I am willing to bet someone here as been where everyone else has been at the start.

Is there a particular reason you want to switch to drop bars? Off the top of my head, I am wondering if a butterfly bar would work better/cheaper/easier with the trigger shifters.
Well, I bought it last year with my tax return. I used it trail riding last year but mow use it strictly for road. I'm doing Bike MS in May, only the 50 miler. I've heard dropped handlebars are more comfortable for longer rides. I figured it'd be easier than buying a new bike. I suppose I should look into butterfly bars, and do pros and cons, see what's more comfortable.

·
Back in the Saddle
106 Posts
i converted a hybrid to drop bars but first went to a flat bar with bar ends. That gave me plenty of hand positions and a more aggressive riding position while still able to use the shifters and brake levers I had. Got me into a more "road" position and even did a Century ride that way, among other long rides. converted that bike to drops only because I had also purchased a more traditional road bike and liked the drop bar options. what i did encounter is that depending on your front der, how the cable runs, and if is a triple, you can encounter some problems. I had a triple and could only utilize two of the chainrings - not a big deal but something to consider. there are also cost considerations as STI shifters can be a pricey upgrade. For similar $ you could likely pick up an entry level or classic road bike and see if you like that type of ride.

·
Registered
35 Posts
meghanspecialized said:
Hey I wasn't sure where to post this. I have a question, it may be ridiculous, but I'm learning as I go.

I have a specialized hybrid, I was wondering if it was possible/how hard it would be if I wanted to swap out the hybrid handlebars for road bike ones.

If anyone could offer advice I'd love it, thanks so much.
I'm not sure how the set up would work, but Nashbar has some sti generic shifters for $139. I think 9 speed. If you go for fully shimano you're looking at a lot of money. There are also quite a few road like bars and bar ends, even some bar end drops that might work.

·
Eocyclist
742 Posts
Well, I bought it last year with my tax return. I used it trail riding last year but mow use it strictly for road. I'm doing Bike MS in May, only the 50 miler. I've heard dropped handlebars are more comfortable for longer rides. I figured it'd be easier than buying a new bike. I suppose I should look into butterfly bars, and do pros and cons, see what's more comfortable.
I find butterfly bars to be very comfortable for long rides. And you (probably) wouldn't have to get new brake levers and shifters if you switch to butterfly bars.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts