Road marking against the law ???

Discussion in 'Road Bikes' started by Gman82, Oct 18, 2009.

1. Gman82

Gman82 New Member

Hey everyone,

I'm from Northern MA. One of the town's I ride in (Boxford MA), rescently started fining/ticketing those who make up the riding routes and mark the turns on the roads by spray painting arrows. The marks, which I'm sure most of you are familiar with in your own area, are very minimal, but extremely helpful to riders. Now they are blacking out all the arrows that exist. I think it's rediculous, especially when they are barely visible, unless you are looking for them. What are some of your thoughts on this ?

-Greg

2. ultra

ultra Guest

Maybe they should agree upon an agreeable looking sign created to look like a governmental road sign?

[​IMG]

You could use rocks to make the arrows... or use a shovel to carve the trail out a bit harder

3. Gman82

Gman82 New Member

I get what you mean, but the routes are strictly road, for road biking, so it's not a main designated path or a way to ride on, most of them consist of about 20-100 different streets and are anywhere from 20-100 miles long, anywhere from rural/suburban to downtown.

4. Mike1jw

Mike1jw Member

With all the hype about going green, as well as the fight against obesity these days, you would think the government would do a whole lot more to create. What are we asking for, a few signs, and an extra foot or two of black top. I live in New Jersey, and after 911 the state spent milliions of dollars to changes hundreds of signs from saying Newark International Airport, to saying Newark Liberty International Airport. Boy. the word Liberty sure did a lot to make us feel better.:mad:

5. HandsomeRyan

HandsomeRyan ♥'s Bicycles

I'd call the local press and offer them a story about how much money the local government is wasting sending people out to overpaint the harmless arrow marks on the road.

Non-cyclists won't give a damn about the marks but they will care about the government wasting resources that could be spent filling pot holes or paying teachers.

6. Gman82

Gman82 New Member

+1 Mike, +1 Ryan. My thoughts exactly. Their excuse was "vandalism to city property". But the f-ing water dept. makes way bigger and brighter paint marks on the roads when they do work, right?

7. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

Were do you draw the line when it comes to spray painting on public street's? When does it become vandalism?

8. gatorguy

gatorguy New Member

A lot of people in my area, as I'm sure every other area, also paint hazzards like cracks or holes in the asphalt to warn other cyclists of the dangerous condition. I suppost that is illegal now as well?

9. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

They are the city. The city is they. Maybe if we could get a licensed city worker to represent road hazards as they apply to our community.???

10. Gman82

Gman82 New Member

yea the hazards I imagine are as well. The whole thing is rediculous, and I think the town is trying every angle to get money. Here are some they fined and blacked out

Attached Files:

11. chh55

chh55 Drink plenty of water!!!

(1)Maybe if you asked first? They'd probably say no anyway but if you typed up your proposal, made it look very proper (club stationery?)... maybe, just maybe.

(2)Maybe if you used colored chalk instead (non permanent). Have to redo it once in a while but....

(3)Lastly the double chevron symbol that you show as one that they painted out, tends to look a little like an official traffic signal in both color and shape. It could be construed to be a traffic hazzard if it had the possiblity to confuse drivers, don't you think?

12. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

Chalk is a great idea. Good call chh55.

13. chh55

chh55 Drink plenty of water!!!

Thanks funetical! Hope I didn't put too much itching powder in your jock at the other thread;)

Last edited: Oct 20, 2009
  14. Gman82

Gman82 New Member

Chalk might work, most of these routes are made by the club, and some by the local race team. They are used all season long and every day, so if the chalk could stay on for at least a month, its ok, also most of these routes go through multiple towns and consist of 100-400+ markings, so it's not a small job. These routes are not one-day rides.

15. eaton

eaton New Member

I'm a public works manager and a member of our city's special event committee.

The committee met with a ride organizer last week and one of my questions was, "How do you mark your route?" This organizer uses different colored commercially made stick-on markers. Those have become common here because most if not all of the agencies do not allow paint. We do allow chalk but the paint became a confusing mess. Some organizers would put discreet marks on the corners. Others would put multiple marks in a line approaching corners.

We also require that the marks be removed within a time limit or we send a clean up crew to remove them and charge the organizer.

My justification is that the organizers are operating a for profit business and should not be allowed to mark public property permanently.

Paint marks can also be confused with underground service alerts. All of the USA paint marks are color coded; blue-water, red-electricity, orange-communication, etc.

16. mtndoc

mtndoc New Member

Thanks for the input Eaton, nice to get the info from the people on the inside, maybe it will help Gman get his problem solved.

DrB

17. Gman82

Gman82 New Member

That's a great point and a great idea Eaton. Thanks for the insight on this. It makes alot of sense. I will post an email to the club's admin, eventhough I'm not an official member yet.

-Greg