Road, Mountain or Both?

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by awinter, Aug 13, 2010.

1. awinter

awinter No longer a newb!

How many people ride both Mountain and Road bikes? Do you find that you end up riding one more than the other? I was thinking of getting a Mountain Bike so I could ride on trails with friends, but I really prefer my road bike. So just curious to hear your experiences. Thanks!:D

2. E-Dog

E-Dog Til' the wheels fall off

Own a couple of road bikes, and just picked up a mountain bike (a gift really:D) because alot of my friends moutain bike, and I wanted to try it out.

I'll probably only ride the mountain bike on weekends, where the road bike gets ridden daily.

I say go for it, life is short.

3. retromike3

retromike3 retromike3

road, touring, mountain or fixed ?

Right now the closeted thing I have to a mountain bike is my 26 by 1.5 cruiser Its set up with a 34 front sprocket and a 11 32 rear freehub. I could take it off road but its set up with full fenders now.

If I just want to get there and I don't want to pump up the tires or check anything that's the bike I take.

Its an old 90 something Giant mountain bike frame I got at the bike co-op for about thirty bucks and a rag tag set of parts that I cobbled together.

As soon as I get the time I am putting together my recreation of a 29er. It will have Sturmy Archer hubs and only a seven speed (gasp) freewheel.

Mike

Last edited: Aug 13, 2010
  4. wild

wild Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man

You nead the right tool for the job :rolleyes:

5. hophead

hophead New Member Tavern Member

95% of the riding that I do is off road. If it weren't so freakin' dangerous around here, I would probably road ride more often.

For fitness and loosing weight, road riding is generally better because it is easier to stay at your target heart rate.

6. awinter

awinter No longer a newb!

Well, lucked out and found a Craigslist ad for a 2010 Specialized Rockhopper (base model) for only $400. The owner was an older gent that discovered that this was too much bike for him. I verified that he did indeed own the bike ( he had the receipt) and bought the bike. So now I have a pedal in both camps!

7. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

It may be easier to stay in your target heart rate on a road bike, but there is always the chance you could die of sheer boredom. Mountain biking can provide more of a workout, as you get to use your upper body more, and technical bits keep you thinking.

For what it's worth, I have one MTB, two single speed/fixed gears, a beach cruiser, and a 24" BMX. Plenty of choices to match the mood and weather.

8. retromike3

retromike3 retromike3

death by boredom? Not likely.

Every time I have come close to death on my road bike I was not board. Even when I was going on a smooth road with little traffic it was a lot more exciting than when I ride my rollers. If I am lucky there will be somebody else on the road in front of me so I can have somebody to chase. The wind, the weather, sights and the sounds around you make things much more interesting.

P.S. I have a Iphone but I don't listen to tunes when I ride. I like to hear the sound of those steel belted radials coming closer.

mike

9. rawhite1969

rawhite1969 Back in the Saddle

Both, plus a 1976 Columbia 3-speed for tooling around with my wife. The Mtn bike is an older Trek that I picked up cheap for the occasional trip on the trails.

10. hophead

hophead New Member Tavern Member

True dat!

11. flatlandr

flatlandr New Member

I ride a cross bike for my road/rail trail bike but I do ride my mountain bike on weekends with friends. I tried the cross bike on some trails but it was a little too harsh for a "fun" ride.

12. cruiser

cruiser Lone Wolf

I have both but we've had so much rain here (Iowa) this summer that the dirt trails I ride have not dried out enough to be ridden on. I think I'll get a kayak.;)

Last edited: Sep 5, 2010
  13. JK13

JK13 New Member

I have a Cross Bike (with 2 wheel sets - X tires and slicks that I switch out for road riding), a commuter, a trail bike, and I hijacked my girlfriend's mountain bike. I have to drive to get to good mountain trails, and although my Cross bike sees more miles on the road, I probably ride my commuter more often simply because I'm going to work on it. Hope to get more time in on the mtb this season before the snow comes in.

14. CTD50

CTD50 DX's Biggest Member

MTB only -- my back & joints take too much of a beating on anything w/o suspension.

That said, I also find myself getting a little silly on most rides, even the commutes; good to have a tough bike that can handle it.

After much experimentation, I've discovered that my rides are best with tires >1.9 and <2.25. I'm THINKING about some 1.85's for summer commutes, may do so next summer as I'll have a spare wheelset.

15. whyeyebike

whyeyebike New Member

Both....but my road bike(s) get much more use then my mountain bike. This is mainly due to the fact that I can walk right out my front door and use my road bike, where I have to drive a good distance to get to some good trails. That being said, I really like to break up my road riding with some good mountain biking now and then. My goal is to get on the MTB more this off season when it gets colder. Hoping to break up on the riding I do on the trainer.

16. Hardtail

Hardtail Ridin Dirty

I ride my MTB on both!

Normally riding the roads to get to the trails!