Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We were riding the other day. I'm new... there was a bike path on one side of a fast 2 lane road. Else nothing. Lots of hills and easy for traffic to not see you over a hill.
Anyway we decided to go against traffic in the bike lane. (on left side of the street - left of left lane). Was fine but another group of bikers came at us. We were going to pass them on the right? as would be logical if driving. (one lane - bike lane, we'd pass right?)

As we moved right someone from the other group yelled "pass on the left" we did and well in the confusion, could have had some collisions. So what is the rule and why did they yell for us to pass them on the left? We did but seemed stupid to me and been puzzled ever since?

Ron

·
Two skinny J's
21,181 Posts
Never ridden in that environment ( bike path ) so I can't say be that does not seem proper...I would have done the same as driving on the road as well.

·
Banned
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Around here we have lots of bike paths all over town, in addition we have a white line designated "path" for bikes on the sides of many roads.
I've always read "ride with traffic" but if the designated bike route/path is in the opposite side? seems I should be on it. Then if oncoming bike traffic comes head to head what is the rule? With someone yelling "pass on the left" out of their group. I don't really know if he was yelling to us or his own group? Ended up "WE" passed on the left and they stayed right. Which just totally confused me.

I was hoping there were rules. Maybe each state has a law? I dunno. But it will happen again so I'd like to know.

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
Pretty sure that in every state, you need to ride with the flow of traffic, and not against it. So I don't have an answer to the 2nd part of your question, as I'm not sure what would be the rule to follow when you're breaking the rules.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Probably whoever said that was trying to be nice, didn't want you to be close head to head with the flowing traffic...

·
Registered
9,925 Posts
Most of the bike paths that I ride that are part of the roadway but only on one side of the road, usually have a divider line to designate two bike lanes on that path. If this is the case, you should be riding on the right side of the bike path. Some places don't mark their bike paths but it is common practice to ride on the right as if you were on the road with other traffic. Other places I've ridden, only have a bike path on one side of the road but are marked with arrows pointing in a specific direction. The last example is common when there are public right of way issues with widening the road and only one side has a bike path.

·
Premium Member
6,015 Posts
The few areas in my region that have bike paths have a lane on either side of the road. So...I dunno what to do if there is only one lane. If it is too narrow I would probably ride the road in the lanes with the flow of traffic until I came to the next bike path.

·
Banned
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah some roads are to narrow for two paths, so they just put it on one side. The path is wide enough for bikes going both ways. MUCH safer on the bike path going opposite flow of cars than trying to squeeze into a lane you don't really fit with cars.

Since the bike path is wide enough for bikes going both ways. SEEMS logical to pass on the right. Which is why I've been confused ever since they said "pass on the left". Thought there was some rule I didn't know.
Still seems no one knows. oh well.

·
Premium Member
5,352 Posts
Rule #1 never ride against traffic
Rule #2 refer to rule #1

When I encounter a bike rider (see how I used the term bike rider instead of cyclist) that is riding towards me on the wrong side of the road I stop to let them pass.

A few years ago a cyclist was killed in RI from injuries sustained from a crash with someone riding a bike on the wrong side of the road. The cyclist was going down hill at a fairly good clip and the wrong way cyclist was climbing up hill and they converged at a bend in the road.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Unless clearly marked as a two way bikeway, a bike lane alongside a roadway is intended to be ridden in one direction only. If you're on a bike lane that's on the right side of the road, you're going in the right direction. If you're riding on a bike lane on the left side of the road, you're probably going the wrong way and should turn around or cross the street.

Two way bike lanes adjacent to a roadway will be clearly marked as two way with a dashed line down the middle and with some kind of barrier between the bike lane and the car lane, such as a sidewalk, parked cars, or stanchions of some kind. I have never seen a two way bike lane separated from other traffic by only a painted line. I suspect you were going the wrong way.

·
Registered
43 Posts
yeah, i agree, think so, Pretty sure that in every state, you need to ride with the flow of traffic, and not against it. So I don't have an answer to the 2nd part of your question, as I'm not sure what would be the rule to follow when you're breaking the rules.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts