Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been using road shoes and switched to mountain bike shoes on spd for my road bikes. Found that putting my foot down at stops and walking was just too much trouble with the design of road shoes.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I've had mountain bike pedals (SPD) and shoes on my road bikes forever. Much easier to walk around in. Every now & then I think about switching to road pedals/shoes just because they're a bit lighter/stiffer, but the tradeoff doesn't seem worth it.

·
Registered
748 Posts
I use road style spd pedals on my roadie. The shoes are heavy though.
I just, with a good pair of mtb shoes, can't justify the expense. Good road shoes are very $$$. Good mtb shoes, not as $$$

Also want to use the same shoes on both bikes.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Spd's all the way! I have a pair of Shimano SH-M087S shoes which were pretty pricey ($89) but nothing compared to road shoes. They're reasonably light and pretty stiff too. I like the ratchet buckle instead of laces also.

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
I also use mtn pedals & shoes on my road bike. The shoes are not particularly heavy. I really can't imagine road shoes being a whole lot lighter. Of course, if you're counting grams.... Not sure how the weight compares to road shoes since I've never owned a pair.

·
717 Posts
I went the opposite direction, upgraded to roadie pedels and shoes on my road bike. Can't really tell any difference except now I walk like a duck.

·
GiddyUp
337 Posts
I wear road shoes with Look pedals. I do "Look" like a dork when I walk but I don't really care. They are light and stiff and I hardly know they are on when riding.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I used to only use Egg Beaters but since switching to Sidi's with Look Keo pedals I'll never go back.

SPD's are like footcuff's if you ask me. ;0)

·
Registered
14 Posts
it's unfortunate that there and not many non-aggressive soles on road shoes designed specifically for SPDs. Ya don't need 1/2" deep cleats on main street.

·
American Expatriate
248 Posts
I have used nothing but SPDs on my road bikes for the past 8 years. I am, just now, starting to look at other options, but the ease of walking around is a nice feature of SPDs since I often carry my camera out on my rides.

Cheers,

Brian J.

·
GiddyUp
337 Posts
Hey Brian, I have been using Look since I bought my road bike but I am considering a switch to SPD's for the same reasons. I like the thought of being able to walk around easily and not look/sound like I'm doing some tap dance routine, or looking like a dork if I slip and fall on my bum.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Specialized makes a "sport touring" shoe for SPD pedals that doesn't have off-road lugs, but is still quite light, and completely encloses the SPD cleat. I bought a pair several months ago and I like them a lot.

·
GiddyUp
337 Posts
there is also an "elite touring" shoe for about $25 more. I'll look into those two, thanks for the recommendation bernmart

·
Registered
156 Posts
Speedplay Frogs on my road bike. I love them . Never had road shoes and don't think I ever will. I like to ride AND walk. I don't get it, if your not racing, what's the big deal?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have SPD mountain pedals/shoes for the mountain bike, and SPD-SL road shoes/pedals for the road bike.

My mtb shoes are sketchy at best on tile or linoleum, but great in the dirt and on trails. My road shoes are just fine to walk around in, but they are noticeably lighter and stiffer than the mtb setup.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I too have always used SPD and MB shoes. Only recently have I started looking for other options, but only out of boredom really not because of necessity.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts