Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow roadie travellers! I'm new today and hope to get help and be help for all things cycling.
My first question: Can a set of road bike wheels pass as (free) carry on ?
A US pro team mechanic told me a couple years ago he was able to do so. Anyone tried recently? I'm flying American this time, I never check a bag. I carry on shoes and helmet and I asked security once if handelbars would pass through, he said, nicely, depends on the person!
I am flying NC to AZ in three weeks and I have a road bike stashed there with a friend, I just want to swap pairs of wheels I already own. Although craigslist makes just as much sense!
FWIW: Before baggage fees, my bike case flew for free (it looked like large luggage v. a bike case;) Now I own a Ritchey Breakaway that also flies free on Southwest!
See you on the road!
ronaldo

·
Registered
243 Posts
90% of the s#@! people carry on planes these days are too big to be carry on's. And I wouldn't be surprised if a majority of them are over the 40 pound limit too. In my experience you can usually get just about anything you want past the check in agent, but the gate agents tend to be a bit stricter. A lot depends on the airline too. I'd say you can at least try, the worst that can happen is they'll make you check them. (I shouldn't say that the TSA is out there, but that's a post for another forum.)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Wheels on a plane

I am a new inventor and as my back ground is in engineering (not marketing), I'm trying to get feedback from user groups.

I developed a full size wheel to fit in an airline carry on bag, specifically an airline carry on bag. Anyone in internet land fond of such an idea. Looking for feedback, good, bad or indifferent.

Thanks,
MBi

·
Registered
28 Posts
Cool. What's the weight? Adaptable to a freewheel cassette? Maybe not rim brakes, maybe a disk. I would like to see this on a bike for a trial run.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello SpkSnppr,

I do ride, and I am finally in a position to use my bike for commuting again. As for the prototype, I am costing. Below are my latest notes and response to other feedback.

1.) The hub is being sourced.
2.) The unit will utilize a disc brake.
3.) Several plastic resins (and grades) are being evaluated for the strength requirements.
4.) Per the material, the geometry is being updated to decrease the weight, while maintaining strength.
5.) The wheel does not fold, merely separate into 5 segments plus the tire.
6.) Safety and ease of use are the number one concern.

Please review the link, your feedback is very much appriciated.

https://sites.google.com/site/themodularwheel/

Thanks,
MBi

1 - 12 of 12 Posts