Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Two skinny J's
21,348 Posts
I'm gonna stick my neck out on this. I'm sure you will get plenty of good answers from others though.

For me, I tried helmet mirrors bars mirrors, ones that clipped on glasses, bar end style and to be very frank.... They ALL sucked and not one ended up being worth the money. The helmet and glasses attached ones that I was able to find were near impossible to keep adjusted so you could actually see anything, the quality of the glass or plastic was poor as well so what you saw was distorted anyway. The bar mounted ones just plain vibrated to much and I found it more dangerous to look away and try and focus on the mirror to see what was in it than actually learning, yes learning, a safe way to look behind me.

I had a bad habit of drifting into traffic as I turned to look. I learned it was much safer to remove the arm from the side I was looking from the bars before I turned around, That simple maneuver keeps me from drifting over so much.

I guess if you really want to see what's about to crush you then maybe a mirror is a good idea!

I don't mean to seem so negative but I'm just telling you my experience and the lack of honest value I see in them :D

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I normally turn back and look. and I do tend to drift into traffic too.

Riding in VA beach is pretty easy, all flat, wide double lanes etc etc. This weekend I am in Southern Pines, North Carolina, beautiful town, horse country and lots of golf courses. Also home of the Tour de Moore. Went out for a spin this morning. Riding on single lane roads at 25+ mph with trucks sneaking up on me at 55+mph was a little nerve-racking. Thats why I'm thinking about a mirror. I am considering the CycleAware Roadie and the Sprintech Dropbar Mirror.

http://www.amazon.com/Sprintech-Lef...P7XU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1336186901&sr=8-2

http://www.amazon.com/Cycleaware-Ro...BQ1Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1336186979&sr=8-1

·
Two skinny J's
21,348 Posts
I normally turn back and look. and I do tend to drift into traffic too.

Riding in VA beach is pretty easy, all flat, wide double lanes etc etc. This weekend I am in Southern Pines, North Carolina, beautiful town, horse country and lots of golf courses.
If you get it, lemme know what ya think.
We had some guys from Pungo come up and ride Waller Mill with us, They said they were fast but only rode flat windy stuff and seemed worried about the rollers. Yup, they rode fast and did well on the rollers!

I worked in the Beach for 8 months and I think the worst road I can remember was Rosemont which kinda surprised me. We would leave at 4 or 5 AM and get as many hours in as we could and try and be back to the HRBT around 3. I really didn't mind working there it was just getting there and back :D

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
I've had about the same luck with mirrors that Rola has. One thing that I've found is helpful when looking over the shoulder is what I also do when reaching down for the water bottle. The hand that I'm going to keep on the bar, I move it over close to the stem. That way any movement of the bars will be minimal and you'll be less likely to weave into traffic.

·
717 Posts

·
Administrator
9,948 Posts
MirrCycle makes a nice mirror that mounts under the hood of Shimano brifters. However, it does not fit the new 105 and above brifter style.

·
Registered
6,987 Posts
I have used "Third Eye" for the past ten years. Two years prior to this, I struggled to find a suitable mirror.
This unit is inexpensive, easy to remove, light weight and gives me a commanding view of the dangers that lurk behind.

I'm pretty sure they offer a money back guarantee. It would be worth a try.

No matter what you choose, there will be an adjustment period. Use this time to practice using your new mirror on roads less traveled by vehicles.

Best of luck.
Attached are a few pics to show what I use and how I use it.

Attachments

·
Administrator
9,948 Posts
I have a Third Eye Pro helmet mirror that I now use since I can't use the hood mount mirror. The problem I found with it is the mirror is mounted by two sided tape and it does not allow you to remove the minor when you don't want to use it. Industrial Velcro works real good for this.

·
215 Posts
I use the Third Eye mirror that attaches to my sun glass frame called the Eye Glass Mirror. I tried some others like a helmet mounted mirror, little stick on the sun glass lens mirror, bar end mirror but that one works the best for me. Sometime you may have to try a few, because some people like one mirror and others will like another mirror.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've got this mirror. I bought it at my LBS, rather than Amazon. It's a great device. It can be mounted on the helmet visor or on the temple of sunglasses. On the visor, it vibrates way too much, but on my glasses it remains steady. With a tiny movement of my head and an upward glance to the left, I have a clear view of the road behind me. I won't ride without my mirror.

·
Premium Member
8,414 Posts
I just installed a pair of Sprintech drop bar mirrors. Amazing! They stay put and give a decent view once you have them adjusted. The directions gave me a bit of a chuckle as well. . .

"Lubricate the ball and insert with a rotative motion":eek:

I will say though, at least for me, you'll need to wet the two rubber inserts as well, I couldn't get mine in without some spit and elbow grease. Well worth the effort, though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts