RoadGuardian.com--interesting idea

Discussion in 'Activism / Safety' started by Xela, Oct 9, 2009.

1. Xela

Xela New Member Tavern Member

Don't know if this will take off or not, but it's an interesting idea to help us avoid trouble spots.

RoadGuardian

2. Biker

Biker New Member

Sounds like a good Idea.

3. Grape Ape

Grape Ape Younger than Hack Tavern Member

I like it. The close calls etc are not really necessary but the dangerous sections of road (potholes, damage, etc...) and location of dangerous animals are always good to know. If riding with a GPS you could save that point as a waypoint that would show the danger as you come to it.

We had a female riding with a group 2 years ago riding behind someone else. A dog came out on the side the front person let up and swerved. Her rear tire and the others front locked. The second person went otb and ended up in the hospital for 6 months. Her helmet saved her life. She said 4 people told her later that they knew about that dog and it was always a problem when they rode by. Something like this could be a good deal if people update it as they find things that could cause problems.

4. joemizereck

joemizereck New Member

RoadGuardian

Hey Guys, thank you for your words of support. Grape Ape, you are spot on...this site can prevent the kinds of experiences your friend had to suffer. That's the goal of this site: to prevent injuries and save lives. You guys can help me by making sure every cyclist you know hears about the site and they take the time to mark trouble spots they know about.

Thanks again,
    Joe Mizereck
    [email protected]

PS. Don't ever hesitate to let me know if you see ways we can make the site even better.

5. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

Well, I was going to track Joe down and invite him to post. Next on my agenda is get some info for a blog post.

6. Xela

Xela New Member Tavern Member

Trouble spots....I plan on filling a lot in today with the new chip-seal roads around here that the county is deciding to spend their stimulus money on. I still don't understand taking a perfectly fine road and adding a layer of small, loose gravel to the top of and thinking it's better than it was.

This also caught the Tour de Cure organizers off-guard last weekend. There was a just completed section at an area where we were on a 10-12% decent. Little hairy.

Thanks for your work, Joe!