Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I managed to ride 7.5 miles today. Paved paths at the park, but I'm pretty proud of myself! I feel good, not too sore ..... but my arse bones hurt!

I got the tire pressure right and that made a huge difference.

·
242 Posts
too cool I remember the frist time a few weeks ago i made it past 5 miles i thought i was way too cool because i didn't think I could make it more than a few blocks ;) i know how good it feels and congrats!!!!!

·
Rat Biker
432 Posts
Ah yes I do remember that the first time a few short years ago myself. It is such a great feeling passing those kinds of milestones. Keep at it

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
The arse bones will toughen up over time. If you don't have then already, invest in a pair (or two) if padded riding shorts. That little extra padding goes a long way to adding comfort to your ride.

·
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a wide gel seat with the springs underneath and padded bike shorts. The shorts only seem to protect/cover my "mommy parts" but don't extend outward to my sit bones. I'll have to look at other bike shorts to see if that padded part extends at all. If not, I'll use my sewing skills to modify the shorts. It's not horrible when I'm sitting, but when I go to lift my butt off the bike it's very painful.

·
Rat Biker
432 Posts
As Cycles said the toughness part comes in time. Cycle butt affects us all used to have that going back myself to you'll get used to it try a different type of saddle maybe

·
242 Posts
when I bought my shorts I made sure I got Womens and I made sure they had all the parts covered when I tired them one. I had read how important it is to get the right ones as men and women are made so different getting the a non female anything is not a good thing if you're a girl and what really makes me mad is that the womens gloves I've found that fit do not have enough padding to make a difference and all the mens are to big what's up with that? even the mens and womens seats are different?????

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have a wide gel seat with the springs underneath and padded bike shorts. The shorts only seem to protect/cover my "mommy parts" but don't extend outward to my sit bones. I'll have to look at other bike shorts to see if that padded part extends at all. If not, I'll use my sewing skills to modify the shorts. It's not horrible when I'm sitting, but when I go to lift my butt off the bike it's very painful.

I go through the sore butt thing every spring when I start riding again but it's never been as bad as it was the first several months. I'm sure you're heard this before but I'll say it also: it does get better and it is worth it.

I tried a wider gel seat too as well as the padded shorts but the gel seat has proven to only aggravate the issue and the padded shorts are more of a hassle than they are worth. I ride purely for recreation and seldom do more than 15 miles at a time but for reasons that I do not understand the skinnier saddle works fine for me now and doesn't hurt at all.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts