Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Grenouille
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Actually had several years to spare, did 61 mi total

This is not the first time, however, when I last did this, while in college, damn, it didn't seem like such a big deal !

·
Registered
272 Posts
I did the same this past May, Grenouille, to celebrate my birthday. Also with a couple miles to spare. Was my first half-century. Looking forward to making it an annual tradition.

·
Offroad Junkie
43 Posts
my best thus far (time constraints) was 36 miles, then had to call it a day
possible tomorrow I will do 41

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
Grenouille a big congrats ;)
I tryed to ride my age back when I was 65 but I had a blow out at 62 miles walked a mile and got a ride from a passing pickup the last 2. I am not ever doing that many miles again ..

·
Administrator
9,948 Posts
Congrats and way to go on your birthday miles. Now, when are you doing your first century? ;)

·
Administrator
9,948 Posts
Sorry for the second post. The iPad app doesn't allow you to delete a post.

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
In the last year I have slowed in miles and speed. I will be 68 soon I am not doing my age or a century, I did a metric century 62 miles ;)

·
Recreational and Utility Rider :)
243 Posts
Congrats, my birthday is coming up, August 5th., I don't know if I'm really able to ride 57 miles! ;)

·
Banned
38 Posts
Nice idea, but harder as you get older? I'm 55 - started biking 2 months ago. Else haven't since... 15? I've done 48 miles... tomorrow 50 is planned. Maybe I'll stretch that to 55 to "do my age". Just cuz there is a topic here that says so. = )
Ron in MI

Harder for older? maybe we should do - 100 minus our age. That way as we get older we can do less.... make more sense?

·
Two skinny J's
21,323 Posts

·
Banned
38 Posts
I have a hard enough time knowing where I'm posting now, seems threads are layered in layers... Not really easy to know where I posted last. I'm using the app. When I clicked your url - it took me to the app store to download the TS app... (Im already using it - why does the link want me to download the app?)
Anyway I'll see if I can find it and post about myself.

Did 50 miles Sunday. At the start was stung by a bee on my inner leg. Didn't think much of it, stung, but that's it. Seems I'm allergic to them sometimes. Must be certain bee's? This was one of those times. I have a itchy welt the size of a baseball on my leg. To make matters worse. On the way back at 1/2 point... so at about 30 miles, I took a turn to fast... went off the trail and landed on a wire fence that is used to keep animals off the freeway. Lots of blood and bent up bike. Luckily had tools to straight steering wheel. (though it's a bit bent) and turned back seat. Some scratches on left shifter, and break and tape wrap messed up. BUMMER was show room condition. But could have been worse. Was in pain going the next 20 miles home. Better today, just some scuffs and scratches and rips in my shorts and fav jersey. Lil wake up call to be MORE CAREFUL! So that was my last ride. not quite my age, then needed to go 55. But over my 100-age (45) goal ;-)

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Sorry to hear about your rough ride.

I think reaction to bee stings often becomes more severe with repeated stingings. I got stung earlier this summer and my ankle was swollen for a week. Itched real bad, yuch.

Bent steering wheel? Do you ride one of these? :D

·
Banned
38 Posts
hahaha Whats funny - I use to ride one of those. Someone adapted it. But it was like 6 to 7ft in the air. I think the frame was upside down. There was a long shaft (Steering column) and seat was 8ft in the air. I use to climb up my neighbors retaining wall to get on (And start) no stopping anywhere there wasn't a wall to climb up!
Had steering wheel

Oh should I have said handle bars? I squared them up with the front wheel, but one is bent outward. (a bit) I don't suspect it would be easy to bend back? Maybe a pipe over the end and use that for leverage to pull it back in?

My flight deck (LEFT) break, top shiny piece got chewed up pretty bad. The rubber "Cover?" over the left shift/break mount also ripped a bit so comes off. Do bike repair dealers have those parts to replace? (or do they only have like the entire shift/brake)? I like that the bike was showroom, so it would be nice if I could get the shiny top logo part and a new brake handle and rubber cover without buying the whole SET.

·
Banned
38 Posts
Had one sting my hand in HS and the hand blew up like a balloon! But was stung about 6 weeks ago and just burned a little - no swelling and was gone in a couple days. (on back of neck). Since I swelled up with this one again. I think I'm allergic to honey bee's and not wasps. Taking benidrill in hopes of reducing it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts