Rollers vs. Static Trainers

Discussion in 'Training / Health' started by tydale, Jun 23, 2009.

1. tydale

tydale Guest

What are the pros and cons of rollers vs. static trainers?

2. thoffman

thoffman New Member

I have a fluid trainer that I use in the winter, but I've never used a roller. What I have heard, though, is that trainers give you more of a resistance work out and rollers are more for spinning and technique.

I bought a fluid trainer last year with a five-level resistance setting. The top levels can really give a workout. I do not see rollers with resistance levels on them.

So, there you have my uneducated opinion... TRH

3. livendadream

livendadream Guest

Exactly what he said, but put in 50 miles on rollers every day in the winter and you will be ready for the Tour by July. J.:eek:

4. Xela

Xela New Member Tavern Member

Depends on the rollers. My rollers by Inside Ride do have variable resistance and the resistance at the highest level is much greater than my Cycleops fluid.

Pros: greatly improves your spin and fluidity, forces you to concentrate during the workout, improves your ability to ride smoothly and in a straight-line on the road, seems like more of a workout than standard trainers.

Cons: forces you to concentrate during the entire workout (no zoning out and just spinning), hard to stand/sprint on some models (but not the Inside Rides), harder to drink or towel off on rollers, take some getting used to