Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I think I've figured out that a good part of my lack of motivation to ride is that probably 600 of the last 1000 miles I've ridden have been on the exact same route. Sometimes a little farther out sometimes a little shorter but essentially the same 4 or 5 roads every single time. So the good part is I know every single turn, bump, crack, and bridge on those roads, the bad part is I'm bored silly!

What do you all do when you want a new route? Poke around on map my ride? Check out books on the subject from the library? Play with google earth?

Any and all suggestions would be most helpful, because the trainer is starting to sound more entertaining.

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
I mostly use Ride With GPS when planning new routes. I've found it to be much more user friendly than Map My Ride, and it has a lot less ads cluttering things. You can turn on satellite view as well, and zoom in to see if you're putting the route on pavement or dirt/gravel. Also, I've found chats at the LBS and liking the local clubs on Facebook to be great sources for new routes.

·
Eocyclist
742 Posts
Do a google search for “bike routes in WhateverState” It will turn up notes by bike clubs, tour operators, and state DOTs. Many state DOTs provide maps of suggested bike routes.

Do a sub 24 hour overnight. Start at your home, ride to a campground or motel to overnight, and ride back the next day.

You already tried transporting your bike by car to a nearby trail. You can expand on that with a hub and spoke trip. That’s where you transport your bike to an interesting place to use as a base, camp or stay with friends or in a motel, then do day rides or overnights from there.

Edit: This is an blatent attempt to get you hooked on touring. :)

·
Premium Member
6,015 Posts
Currently I stick to the area's around my house. This way I can zip off, ride, return, without the need to drive anywhere. I will look at Google Earth to see if a route is interesting or not too far that I may have trouble returning. Then I ride with Strava on my phone. Sometimes I may just turn on Strava and go, if I like the ride and how it looks on the map, I may do it again.

·
Premium Member
1,207 Posts
Most states have done a lot of MUP work lately due to funding that came from a mandate that made them put 10 percent of fed. funding towards walking and bike paths. I searched for my local bike maps and found quite a few then with google earth street view I go and check out what the situation is. just be careful if you ride alone some of the paths in my area cut through some dicey places.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Xela, I went and checked out that ride with gps thing (not too much because I had to be at my parents' house most of the day.) Looks like it could be useful but I hadn't quite figured out the search filter when I left. I was getting a bunch of 5 mile routes in a town 60 miles away with a similar name. (yes I did double check my spelling :p )

Omni and Buffalo, there's an MUP right near my apartment, about 2 miles away, but a nasty street in between so I'll usually drive down to the park which is about 4 miles away but on the other side of the street and get onto the trail from there. It's a decent trail, but short so I'm not on it long before I'm out with the big kids. Not that that really bothers me but the relative safety of the trail is comforting.

Larry, I'd love to do that!!! But gas is expensive and I'm broke. So I've gotta stick pretty local.

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,170 Posts
I've had good luck with Bing's mapping service over Google. Where Google has satellite views, Bing's 'bird's eye' offering is compiled from aerial photos and thus offers a lot more detail. It's out of date for a couple of places in my locality, but mostly good; lets you check out potential routes in advance or just go virtually exploring before you hit the streets: you can see if a given road has shoulders, multiple lanes, messed-up intersections, etc. Best of luck, however you do it! There's a lot to be said for riding a favorite route where you do know every bump and turn, but only if you're also getting out and exploring new stuff, too.

·
Back in the Saddle
106 Posts
Google maps. has a setting that shows bike routes, etc. & I pay extra attention when I am driving somewhere as to if that area would be safe for a ride.

·
Premium Member
8,414 Posts
Bored with the same routes? Tired of trying to "beat the clock" on your circuit?

Get lost! Make a left out of your parking lot and just go. I like to do this if it is a general area I frequently travel, I try to find alternate routes to my usual routes in case of accident, traffic, weather etc.

This weekend I was lost for a good 40 minutes until I figured out where I was. Luckily I had nowhere to be quickly, so the time wasn't a problem. I did learn a few new alternate routes to a location I frequent, so I consider my "lost" time a worthwhile investment.

A caveat. Google maps' "bike route", I believe is beta. For my morning commute, it takes me past a few truck depots which is akin to being a kamikaze pilot dodging flak. . . You can flag routes to google, not sure how serious they take user input though.

A warning though. Make sure you have plenty of fluids and food, bonking when you're lost is horrible. DAMHIK.

Is it possible you're burnt out? Too much saddle time? I had to take a week and a half off a month ago, just felt "blah" being in the saddle or thinking about riding.

·
Registered
6,955 Posts
If you're doing loops, ride The opposite direction.
This helps.
Also, going in reverse, you may see a new road that you missed in the past. (this happened to me earlier this year and I found a way to add 20 miles to one of my standard loops.

Best if luck.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Dos_Ruedas said:
If you're doing loops, ride The opposite direction.
This helps.
Also, going in reverse, you may see a new road that you missed in the past. (this happened to me earlier this year and I found a way to add 20 miles to one of my standard loops.

Best if luck.
Pedaling backwards uses different muscle groups as well, so it is a good change up in your workout as wel! Better have good mirrors though!

:)

·
Registered
6,955 Posts
Hazy said:
Pedaling backwards uses different muscle groups as well, so it is a good change up in your workout as wel! Better have good mirrors though!

:)
Ha ha HA :D
I think you have spent ENOUGH time off your bike. Now, back to spinning. Lol

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Your correct good sir! My bike has has been in the shop getting a new bottom bracket and reattaching the shifter cable that broke 20 miles into a planned 86 mile route last Saturday. :(

Go in to pick it up tomorrow, but hearing a forecast of Thunderstorms may put any real riding on hold. :(. Sigh!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts