Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my morning commute, I pass a scrap metal company; there's usually some pieces of old rebar, copper pipe etc on the road. Anyway today I managed to dodge one piece and one over another, it looked like a crushed aluminum can, but who knows. Took quite a jolt and after a quarter mile or so I hear the sound of a tire going soft before it is flat.

Pop off the rear rim, and find the hole, almost looked like a spoke puncture but it wasn't, the velox tape hadn't moved nor torn.

After removing the tire and tube and going over the rim (this is my first flat with this bike, Shimano RS-10 wheelset) I noticed 2 gouges on the edge/lip of the rim. They are both rough spots, and you can see the aluminum, not sure what to make of this. It is possible they've always been there, occurred during a previous impact or are from this incident. Either way, not sure if I should file them down, let them be, etc.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
It's not the seam, is it? This is directly opposite the valve hole, not rough, but can be a little uneven, so you'd feel it and see small amount of un anodized surface. This thought popped in my mind when you said it might have always been this way?

If its a ding, gouged by the scrap metal you ran over, you should be able to smooth it down, if a section of rim is bent, you might be able to bend it back.
Did you notice uneven braking after hitting the debris?

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Any way to snap a picture with your phone and post it?

·
Premium Member
8,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QM-

You know on a clincher wheel, you have that "wall" where the braking surface is? The very "tip" of that wall, i.e. if you were to use the wheel without a tire, the surface that would touch the ground, this is where the two gouges are. Honestly, it looks like someone had used a metal tool or something to mount a tire but it (bike) was purchased new and they are almost straight across the rim for each other which would lead me to beleive it might have been from this incident, but. . .

I see no damage to the tire/rim to indicate that. No idea on this one. I figured I could smooth them out tonight, but wasn't sure.

·
889 Posts
I would say as long as the gouges are not huge or too deep and do not physically rub against the tire, it would be ok to ride on. But you should still take a pic to get the other opinions.

Too bad about the wheels though but lucky you didn't go ass over tea kettle. :)

·
Premium Member
5,352 Posts
If there are any sharp edges you should smooth them out with emery cloth. The lip on the rim will still hold your tire on safely.

Sh1t like that sucks. The landfill for the city I work in is right next door to where I work. WM the operator will pay any flats people get that work in the park between them and the freeway. They also have a crew that picks up trash and road debris along the bike path and shoulder of the road.

Sounds like the scrap yard is not a responsible neighbor.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
I still think it maybe the seam, but probably not. If there is a burr sticking out, I'd try to push it back in with a diamond stone or other whetstone. That's what I do when my ski edge gets nicked. Finish with the emory cloth, and if you don't have a whetstone or a burnishing tool, skip that part and just use the emory cloth.

I definitely do not think the wheel is ruined. As long at the rim is not bent, and there are no sharp edges that could cut your tires or brake pads, I don't think you will experience any loss of performance whatsoever nor will the wheel be any less safe to use.

·
Premium Member
8,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Headed up to the LBS, after an extensive inspection (depth/width/etc) it was decided some filing down and all is good. There's no rush for it, but I see a set of 36 spoke commuters wheels in my future. . . .

And no, the place is not good, I spend, honestly a good 2-3 miles avoiding scrap metal in the shoulder/bike lane of the road by this place. Kicker-

They all watched me from the windows while I fixed my flat. I'd have loved to have held up the metal and asked if it was theirs, but decided otherwise. This area seems to be Winchester/Remmington friendly!:eek:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts