Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm having them installed on a Surly 1x1 frame. They will allow me to pack my bike in a 26" x 26" x 10" box that can be checked as regular luggage on a plane rather than get cornholed for a full size bike box.

Anyone try em?

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice! Did you notice and difference in rigidity after the couplings were installed?

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
The frame was custom made, and the couplers were part of the spec. They actually stiffen your frame, as you will now have shorter tubes coupled by a robust interface.

·
Two skinny J's
21,184 Posts
Just got my new Surly frame from Bilenky Cycle Works and it's bad ass! I built it up last Thursday night. Now it's time to tear it back down and box it up for Ireland. We leave Monday.

Here are a few pix of my new ride...
I've only ever heard of those here at Twospoke and was just wondering how it is they lock into place? I went to Bilenky's site and that's not a cheap process! The deposit was way more than what I would have guessed the whole process would have cost.

I had to go look, looks like a sweet deal!

I can't tell from your picture but do you just remove your brake cable or does it have a coupling as well?

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've only ever heard of those here at Twospoke and was just wondering how it is they lock into place? I went to Bilenky's site and that's not a cheap process! The deposit was way more than what I would have guessed the whole process would have cost.

I had to go look, looks like a sweet deal!

I can't tell from your picture but do you just remove your brake cable or does it have a coupling as well?

The couplings have interlocking teeth. A threaded collar then slides over them to secure the couplings together. They are tightened and loosened with a wrench that is included.

No, it's not cheap. In my case, the couplings and installation cost more than the frame. I'm going to have to travel with this bike several times to recoup the cost. Lookin' forward to that!:)

In my case, I used a new Surly 1x1 frame. The brake cable is attached to the lugs with 3 zip ties. I have a v-brake on the rear, so I just remove the cable from the brake and cut the zip ties when I seperate the frame. If it were a disc brake I would just remove the caliper from the frame. I will get some of those little clip thingies at some point to secure the cables.

I'll post up some pix later of the couplings seperated so you can get a better idea of how they work.

So far, I'm very happy with the retrofit. It made traveling with my bike a pleasure rather than a hassel.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts