Saddle preferences

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by Germanrazor, Nov 22, 2020.

1. Germanrazor

Germanrazor Well-Known Member

Big time subjective subject matter I know. I have been through a few in the years (last two decades) and look to a few things. I like a saddle that is slim with a low profile and doesn’t feel like your sitting on a log.

I currently ride a Selle Italia Gelflow Max. It is the original saddle or at least I believe so since I bought the bike used. It has been great but getting worn. That brings me to replacement.

I have ridden a multitude of other brands, both name brand and some not so much. One of the best saddles I recall that stands out is a brand called Terry. I had the Fly model back in the day but found the FLX with center cutout. Not the best graphics if your into looks but the saddle fits the need. Going to give it a try given my past positive experience with this company.

What do you folks ride and prefer?

Dos_Ruedas and John_V like this.
  2. rola643

rola643 Two skinny Js Staff Member Admin Staff Mod Team Tavern Member

I can't give any recommendations on anything brand specific. I guess I'm one of the handful of people that can ride what came on my bike :D

I do completely agree on slim and low profile. I played the saddle game years back and really...meh as long as follows the mentioned fit guid lines press on soldier :D

Dos_Ruedas, John_V and Germanrazor like this.

3. John_V

John_V Moderator Staff Member Mod Team Tavern Member

Is Terry making saddles for men now? They were a women's only company. I guess if they work for you, it really doesn't matter. I'm biased toward ISM saddles but they are definitely not for everyone. Hope it works out for you. I remember the hurt I went through while looking for the right saddle. It's not fun. :(

Dos_Ruedas and Germanrazor like this.
  4. Germanrazor

They do make men’s specific saddles.

John_V likes this.
  5. Dos_Ruedas

Dos_Ruedas Well-Known Member

Like John, I’ve been ISM for about 7-8 Years now.

I was having symptoms which were prostate related and caused some worry for about a month.
    The Dr. asked the right questions and figured out that it was quite possibly related to cycling.
    Rx written for a new saddle that take pressure off one place and puts it elsewhere.
    ISM Road was the choice.
    I’ll say, it wasn’t a quick adjustment. I recall keeping a tool in my jersey pocket and every 20-40 miles, tweaking things.

Once there, I’ve been good to go. Those medical concerns are a thing of the past and i find the saddle very comfortable.

Best of luck with your search Germanrazor. Let us know where your bum lands.

John_V and Germanrazor like this.
  6. Germanrazor

I have seen the ISM saddles before. I may have to try one some day. I have the Terry FLX on the way and they have a no questions if you don’t like it; return it.

As stated in the past, I have liked the Fly I had but it was a bit beefier than the slimline design of the FLX model.

Will let everyone know how the saddle goes after some extended rides on it.

Dos_Ruedas, rola643 and John_V like this.
  7. Germanrazor

Okay.....call me squirrelly but I canceled my big A order for the FLX saddle due to finding it $40 cheaper at another vendor. So while waiting for the official notification the order was canceled I investigated further ISM and looked at the spec’s of each.

LOL......I decided, “Why not!” So I ditched the cheaper vendor on the Terry FLX and purchased the much more PL 1.0 since it’s width and length are similar to my current Selle that is pretty good.

So you boys intrigued me enough to go for it as I do love the cutout or scooped saddles so the nether region stays happy!

Will be here Wednesday.

John_V and Dos_Ruedas like this.
  8. Dos_Ruedas

9. John_V

I have the PL 1.1 and love it. Before you put your ISM saddle on the bike, please go to their website and view their mounting and usage instructions. You will save yourself a lot of discomfort if you do. These saddles don't mount like normal saddles in the sense that you don't level the saddle on the bike as a starting point, rather you level the rails. Also, you don't sit to the rear of the saddle rather your sit bones go just behind the prongs. The instructions will explain the differences. You can IM me and I'll let you know a quick way to get the saddle mounted to a good starting point.

If you're mounting this saddle on a Trek, continue reading.

ISM is a local company and I have a friend that worked for them for several years in sales and marketing. One thing their web site doesn't mention is an issue almost everyone has when mounting an ISM on a Trek. The issue is not the saddle but the side mounting system that Trek uses. If you are mounting the saddle on a Trek, make sure you use thread sealant on the bolt threads (blue will do) and make sure you use a torque wrench when tightening the bolts. The problem arises when the bolts are not torqued properly, the side that is the loosest will tend to drop; leaving you with one prong lower than the other. This issue will appear sooner if you ride the drops a lot or use an aerobar.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2020 at 9:38 AM
    Dos_Ruedas likes this.
  10. John_V

I just looked at their setup guide and they must have made some changes to their rails because now they're saying different. When I bought my Prologue (PL1.1) they were advocating leveling the rails and not the saddle. Now they are saying to level the saddle and not the rails. I guess they call that progress. :D However, the sit bone position hasn't changed between an ISM and standard saddle.

11. Germanrazor

I read that on their site and was getting ready to respond to you they advocate the saddle leveling until I saw your second post.

Yes, it is going on a Trek with a EC90 carbon seat post.

I will read further and I do have a torque ratchet for cycling in NM for properly torquing.

Certainly will IM you once I get to the stage of surgery so to speak....LOL

Dos_Ruedas likes this.
  12. John_V

13. Germanrazor

D08C1DFB-AC9D-44D8-B61D-579C7053E14A.jpeg BF697437-E412-4486-BB9E-76C9A321149D.jpeg Saddle in and mounted to bike and took a trainer ride to get a slight feel and setup but knowing that will really happen on a real road ride.

Initial impressions of the saddle are:
    - Good looking construction
    - Easy to mount to post
    - Felt good to sit on
    - No initial thigh rubbing
    - Can definitely feel a difference in sit bones so I understand about breaking me in to new saddle

What was wrong one might ask, and yes, it’s petty. But such a expensive saddle and no nice box of which it came in! Just a open cardboard mounting system! I know.....petty! But that is wrong on so many levels.

Hope to do a quick road ride soon to adjust and get where I need it. It is weird that you look down and no saddle end sticking out. Got about 2.5-3” exposed back as they (ISM) states you should have around.

D08C1DFB-AC9D-44D8-B61D-579C7053E14A.jpeg BF697437-E412-4486-BB9E-76C9A321149D.jpeg

Dos_Ruedas likes this.
  14. Dos_Ruedas

15. Germanrazor

First road ride of just over 11 miles as ISM states short distances in first few rides to set up. No adjustments what so ever from what I could see or better yet, feel.

Level to just slightly angled down as suggested by the company and riders. Sit bones were not too shocked. I could feel a difference as this saddle is just a tad firmer. But my saddle initial setup may be very close to perfect. I could sit on climbs and feel good as well as pop up to mash out climbs. Transitioning from standing to a seated position was seamless with no nose snag.

A big kudos and thank you to John and Dos Ruedas for putting that suggestion of a saddle to my mind.

Dos_Ruedas, John_V and Merlincustom like this.
  16. Dos_Ruedas

I read once years ago that this sale could be made without the rear section completely. None of it is needed. However, to meet some cycling race committee’s saddle length requirement, ISM saddles are longer and include that part.
    Mine is made to hang from a race rack (ie triathlon bikes hang together until grabbed to go). Of course, i don’t need that feature. lol
    I do occasionally scoot back and chill a few rotations from the back of the seat though.

Germanrazor and MilesR like this.