Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody I was hoping I could get some good input on my seat. For those that haven't read my intro. I've had my new bike for close to 3 weeks now and have put 225M on it. I did as much research as possible to try and set up a good fit to my bike. It's a Dawes Lightning 1200. Everything seems to be okay so far except my seat. I'm starting to average 15M rides which I know isn't much compared to what some of you put in. I experience no numbness or pain in my hands, feet, legs, arms, knees, lower back, neck. everything is comfortable so far except the seat. I can ride with my hands on the hoods or in the drop position and I feel very comfortable. I do plan on going to my LBS for a real fit but have to wait a few weeks until I get paid and can afford it. I find myself very sore in the seat area and shifting and moving around alot to try and find a comfortable position on the seat. No chaffing or physical sores of any kind, just very achy. This also happens when riding with or without my cycling shorts I just wear basketball shorts on leisure rides with my girlfriend. I've tried making minor adjustments but nothing seems to do the trick. Also I'm coming from 17 yrs of riding bmx so this is really the first time I've utilized a seat the way it's supposed to be used. Riding bmx for so long I tended to stand and pump rather than sit and pedal so even though I've been riding most of my life I've never really been seated while pedaling. As I said I do plan on having a professional fit done but is there anything I can try in the mean time for the next few weeks until I can get into my LBS? Is it possible it's just taking me this long to get adapted to using a seat after riding bmx for so long or is it more likely the seat position or seat itself?

·
Premium Member
6,015 Posts
Your sit bones may be adjusting to being sat on. Also your saddle may be to wide or to narrow. Where does it get uncomfortable?

Also, do you have to push yourself back on your seat often?

·
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well the seat is narrower and longer than the seats im used to from my bmx bikes. seems like a good amount of padding not as much as previous seats though. as far as the pain/aches go it seems to be closer to the boys than the butt (just behind the family jewels). not in the center but at the sides. it's in a friction area from the legs moving but it doesn't feel like its from friction it feels like achy bones. as far as pushing myself back I don't feel like I'm pushing myself back constantly. but what I do notice is when I start to feel achy I find it more comfortable to push myself back far on the saddle and go into drops to relieve the pain, but it doesn't take too long after that before I start getting achy in that position and I shift forward again. I just did a quick 8M through the park by my house and around 5M in I started getting uncomfortable. somedays it's more than others.

·
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
also I do not experience any rocking in my hips it feels firmly in place. and when I first got the bike my seat was farther forward and in the drops my back would ache it felt like it was curved to much when I moved the seat back further it corrected that. but the seat issue has been occurring since day 1

·
Administrator
9,948 Posts
Your sit bones should have already adjusted to the saddle if you have 225 miles in 3 weeks. If adjusting your saddle hasn't fixed the problem, I would wait until you get your pro fit before going to the next step. It could be that you need more adjustments than the saddle. You may also consider the possibility that you may need a new saddle.

After losing more weight, mostly from my butt, I found myself needing a new saddle on my bike, after riding on it for 3,000+ miles. I just got it today and will ride on it for the first time tomorrow.

·
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the input john. maybe I'll just snag the gf's seat pad when I go by myself at least until I can get that professional fitting done. I just don't want to start to lose my motivation to ride. I saw that post about the seat you were getting at least I think it was the same post. that seat looks wild. is it separated in the front almost like a fork?

·
Administrator
9,948 Posts
LiveFreeRideHard said:
thanks for the input john. maybe I'll just snag the gf's seat pad when I go by myself at least until I can get that professional fitting done. I just don't want to start to lose my motivation to ride. I saw that post about the seat you were getting at least I think it was the same post. that seat looks wild. is it separated in the front almost like a fork?
That's the post and the saddle. ISM makes several models for different types of riding; and of course, different prices. All of them have that basic split front design. The company that makes those saddles is local and I was talking to the owner and designer last night at a meeting to promote bicycle safety in the Tampa Bay area. His story about the saddle design is very interesting.

·
Premium Member
5,352 Posts
Believe it or not adding padding may make the problem worst by causing increased contact area in your nether regions.

Everyone is different and require different saddles to be comfortable.
I for one will not use a cutaway saddle like illustrated in your pic. They tend to cause pain on both edges of my region. Regular saddles work best for me distributing the load evenly.

As John has pointed out you should look into a new saddle at your LBS when you go there. The shop I deal with has a loaner program that they allow you to try out saddles for a few days and when you find the right one buy it.

·
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks davereo good to know maybe I'll try it for one ride and see how I feel. but now I wonder if it may be the cut away like you stated. I've never had a seat with a cutaway and it is the sides bothering me. I'll also ask about a tryout program or something at my LBS when I go. I just hope I can figure out a temp solution until I get there. im also debating putting my bmx seat on just for now as another temporary solution

·
Premium Member
5,352 Posts
Do you have an old saddle from your BMX days hanging around? If so try it out on your road bike. You never know what will work.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
...tend to cause pain on both edges of my region...
"Edges of your region" sounds like what you are experiencing and after reading where you're hurting, it was my guess the cut out might be the problem. I've never tried a saddle like that. Many, like John, swear by them. Others, like Dave, do not.

Do you have an old saddle from your BMX days hanging around? If so try it out on your road bike. You never know what will work.
This.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
also I do not experience any rocking in my hips it feels firmly in place. and when I first got the bike my seat was farther forward and in the drops my back would ache it felt like it was curved to much when I moved the seat back further it corrected that. but the seat issue has been occurring since day 1
To increase reach, it's much better to get a longer stem than to move your saddle back.

·
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks everyone for all your tips and advice. I'm not sure what I'm going to do temporarily. I may try an old seat from my dk. also I do have the spacers on my stem and right now the bars are at the lowest I may try bringing them back up as well. regardless I just need a temporary fix for two weeks until I can go get a pro fitting hopefully that will help. I do have a suspicion that it may be the seat itself. if the pro fitting doesn't help I may be in the market for a new seat. any good suggestions or seats I can look into if it comes down to that?

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
I don't think raising the bars will help with this issue although it might. Also not all cut out saddles are the same.

I like Fiziks saddles, but they are a little pricey. WTB Speed V is another I like and less expensive. Every body is different though, especially in saddle preferences.

I think you need a new saddle, not a fitting. It sounds like your bike fits. A fitting probably costs more than a saddle too, although I've never been fitted, so I have no idea about what that costs.

Good bike shop should have used saddles that didn't work for others but might work for you. If there is a bike co-op in your area, that's another good place to look for a different saddle.

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
If I had a saddle I liked I would try it, allso try a verry slite nose up on the saddle.
My ¢¢

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
If your BMX saddle was comfortable on that bike, then for sure try it on the road bike. If it becomes magically uncomfortable on the road bike, I suspect you have a fit issue.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts