Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just sent in a request to cancel my Australian visa. I haven't lived there for three years, and certainly won't be returning any time soon under the same terms I was granted residency, but it's still sad.

·
53 Posts
Even though we only visited there briefly while we were stationed in Guam, I can certainly understand your blues if you had secured and enjoyed a visa there.

One of the best places I've ever visited, and I have to remind myself I only saw a fraction of it.

Bill

·
Younger than Hack
746 Posts
In the immortal words of Barbara Bush "Just say NO." The just requested they didn't demand. So just reply politely with the following.

Dear Australia,

Thank you for thinking of me and my possible future travels to your great country, but at this time I think I will go ahead and keep it. Again thank you for your concern. I hope you have a very nice day.

Your Friend,
Industry Hack

·
Cranking Old Guy
712 Posts
I think he is talking about a residency visa.

Not a tourist visa

I (or my wife) have to be in country and renew my residency visa every year or pay a big fine.

·
12,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, it was a permanent resident visa, so it didn't come cheap. But I had to cancel it in order to get access to the retirement funds I accrued working there. Hopefully, that will amount to more than $23.

·
12,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How simple was the process for getting it?
About $1,200 for the application, comprehensive medical exam with blood test and chest x-ray, police background check, and I married an Australian. That last bit added a significant amount of expense.

·
Cranking Old Guy
712 Posts
So what are the cost?

It was very cheap over here.

Are you American?

What do you teach?

·
Cranking Old Guy
712 Posts
Ya well moving and air fair and now that the VA cut me off so my Meds. all add up.

Stocks come back up we are moving back.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts